• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help stuck, failed steering gear and power steering pump

No it was not, it started as a drive line vibration, it would come and go.  Now it's knocking and squeaking and won't quit.  We towed it to a good friend who runs a shop, the initial diagnosis is believe it or not a killer dowel pin issue he's in the process of removing the timing cover to find out for sure but apparently it happens to a handful of newer trucks.

His house needs an addition so I guess my company will be building an addition with a discount 

Edited by WiscoRedkneck

Found the missing chunk of gear in the bottom of the timing case how it got there is anyone's guess I figured it got chewed up.... Got to fix all my oil leaks up front. Fired up the truck mind you this is the first time Daryl has heard the truck run within two seconds he tells me to shut it off and tells me I likely have loose torque converter bolts or they're broken completely off. 

Pulled the transmission and found two bolts came loose and broke the ears off the torque converter and the remaining had elongated the flexplate holes this caused some damage to the bell housing. I will get more pictures later the one below is the damaged bell housing.

Transmission is being rebuilt as I speak including new flexplate and torque converter.

So hopefully by Wednesday after almost 3 weeks I will have the truck back running right again

IMG_20180319_132816059.jpg

• Owner
On 3/19/2018 at 4:14 PM, WiscoRedkneck said:

Found the missing chunk of gear in the bottom of the timing case how it got there is anyone's guess I figured it got chewed up...

I gathered you replaced the gear? Which gear was it?

On 3/19/2018 at 4:14 PM, WiscoRedkneck said:

Pulled the transmission and found two bolts came loose and broke the ears off the torque converter and the remaining had elongated the flexplate holes this caused some damage to the bell housing.

Sound like someone didn't torque the bolts properly.

I think this was a culmination of variables and over stressing the truck during the recovery of the heavy equipment.

We pulled a log truck out with the assistance of another log truck we did that in 4lo 4hi  On our way out we swerved for a deer and clipped a stump and the deer drove it home vac pump leaking power steering going in and out