Mopar1973Man.Com LLC
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

@015point9 if you remember which place told you that plugin off VP is ok, it'd be nice to know so we don't buy any pumps from them.

Called Seattle injector in Seattle

They are mainly an injector place.  When I mention vp44 they referred me to h&h in Tacoma.   H&h  said they don't "fix" them just change them out but they said they have a "tech" that knows all about them.  Their "tech" said alright to plug off till you get if fixed but don't put off to long.

Also asked where they get their pumps from.  Answer was "various" places.  

Still have e mail out to Oregon fuel injection.  Blue chip diesel actually said he didn't know for sure but "tech" would call me back.  He actually did 3 hours later, which 1/2 way surprised me.  Blue chip was one of the don't side because pressure.

No surprise but the first ones to turn up in search were not the most helpful and more interested in selling imo.

I don't know what mark up is on vp but must be good.

Bear in mind h&h diesel is not a rebuilder but a mechanic place.  But when answering the phone...  if I was broke down along the road and needed a mechanic, there info shows up.  I'm Leary of picking mechanic's after being hosed in yuma couple years ago.  Seems like it is hard to find good mechanic.  When you do find good mechanic...treat each other right.

Edited by 015point9
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

I would never plug off a injection line. Being the pump is capable of seriously high pressures 18k or 20k PSI once it dead headed the line something is going to fail. I figure the rotor plate will give first being its the weakest link in the pump.

The rotor plate is seen here at the head of the main shaft. This plate rides in the 3 grooves where the rollers and shoes go.

DSCF6162.JPG

The two stubs on the top of the rotor shaft is what fits into that plate. 

DSCF6161.JPG

• Owner
8 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

This brings another question, by raising pop pressure does it reduce life of vp

I doubt it.

fuel-pressure-specs.jpg

4,250 to 4750 PSI or 293 to 327 is considered allowed for pop pressure.

Now remember the duration of the injection event is based on how high the line pressure rises. I'm not for certain but I've heard VP44 can make 20k PSI or somewhere close to that.