• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tachometer works about 5 seconds at start up

23 hours ago, GSX455 said:

I’ve got a 2001 24V and I replaced the camshaft sensor.   You can get to it using a long 8”extension and I think a 5 mm Allen key. 

Which would be great if the 2000 truck had the same setup, which it does not.

• Owner

Cam gears are different as in the tone rings. The early 24V had only a single tooth tone wheel on the outer edge. Where the later series 24V had a multi-tooth tone wheel inward on the hub of the cam gear. The cam gear and the gear case are different because the location of the cam sensor is in the wrong location. 

0102_camgear.jpg.2dd8d0bbb2d6a11d9586d75

Versus... Two different animals.

98.5-00camgear.jpg.6afc81d9de1702564116f

I'm working on a replacement reluctor that uses an early crank reluctor tooth count to mimick the cps signal, you'll still need to pull the cam to change the tone wheel to a single blip wheel.

14 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The cam gear and the gear case are different because the location of the cam sensor is in the wrong location

I don't think the timing case is different. I'm almost positive that the case on my 98 is the 98 case on the 01 block.

48 minutes ago, syndicateshop said:

I don't think the timing case is different. I'm almost positive that the case on my 98 is the 98 case on the 01 block.

They are different. The hole location for the sensors is the difference.