• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Door Lock Fob

MnTom

Hey guys, When I got my truck I didn't get any remote for the door locks. Yes, it is supposed to have a couple. My question is besides a dealership os there anywhere else I can get one programmed? I know a dealership will have the DRB III to get into the computer, but who else?

I stopped at a Dodge dealer in Uvalde, Tx. to see what they would charge for getting a remote working. They said $60 to program. I thought, well, that's kinda high in my mind, but doable. I asked about a remote since I didn't have one and how much they were. HOLY CRAP!! They wanted $130 plus $10.73 tax along with the $60!!! That ONE remote would have been $200.73!!!:wtf: I just ordered two of them from Amazon for under $40. That way IF I find a dealer and have a bit of time I might be able to get them to program one of them (or both).

Just as a follow up, I got TWO remotes off Amazon for under $40. I am going to call a locksmith tomorrow morning to see if he can and how much it would be.

Well, I wound up at a dealer to program the new remotes. The remotes wouldn't work. Turns out the dealership gave me the wrong part number.:doh:  The only good thing to come out of today was I did get the PIN code so now I can have an automotive locksmith program the new remotes when they get here. What a PITA........

Welp, got back from the dealer. One of the aftermarket remotes works and the other wouldn't program. The tech even tried another battery. HOWEVER, I popped the remote apart and found the battery was in upside down. I got back to my trailer and found instructions of how to program another remote, but can't seem to get the truck into the program mode. I would hold the unlock button for 10 seconds, then press the panic button and release both at the same time like the instructions said to do. I tried many times and gave up. Anybody else have any ideas?

This is getting ridiculous. I emailed the supplier of the remotes for assistance and the first TWO emails back from them was to get my full name and zip code? WTF has that got to do with these remotes? All I want is to get two remotes working. The remotes really don't give a rip who is pushing the buttons or where it physically is........

• Staff

If get into requesting information from a particular company while trying to solve a problem, I always get their full name. It seems to make them sit up straight, listen and put some effort into helping me.

Asking for your information might be a security thing concerning vehicle security, just so they have a record of the phone call.

Maybe it would take a phone call, I don't know. I just can't seem to get the truck and remote into the program mode so I can try to get the other remote functioning.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what?!?! I got the other remote programmed! I found a site with a variation of what I was supposed to do. Turn the key to the run position, but don't start it. Instead of holding the unlock for 10 seconds, the instructions said hold it between 4 and 10 seconds then push the panic button for one second and release both at the same time. Next push both the lock and unlock buttons at the same time and release. It takes a coupleof secondsto hear the chime signaling that step was recognized. After that push any button on the remotes, wait for the chime and you are done. 

• 5 months later...

Apologies, as I know this post is a bit old.  I bought two fobs off of ebay or amazon.  Then had a locksmith program and cut the keys for about $40-60. He did program them and not just clone them.  I did have one original, and the dealership wanted an astromical amount for the programmed and cut key/fob.

• 3 months later...
On 5/7/2018 at 1:25 PM, MnTom said:

Guess what?!?! I got the other remote programmed! I found a site with a variation of what I was supposed to do. Turn the key to the run position, but don't start it. Instead of holding the unlock for 10 seconds, the instructions said hold it between 4 and 10 seconds then push the panic button for one second and release both at the same time. Next push both the lock and unlock buttons at the same time and release. It takes a coupleof secondsto hear the chime signaling that step was recognized. After that push any button on the remotes, wait for the chime and you are done. 

I have read repeatedly that you HAD to have two working, programmed fobs to program another fob.  Fantastic that it worked!