• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Choosing the right turbo

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

Yes. Like I said you can start with a tune that fits close and then tweak it to fit your needs. We'll be glad to help you out on tuning and give you some guidance. 

I appreciate that!!  It sounds like the best bet would be the Adrenaline? 

• Owner

Dollar price vs HP gained yes Quadzilla has Smarty hands down. 

Quadzilla has cooldown timer for turbo cool down. Smarty - none.

Quadzilla has wiretap abilities for VP44 fuel trucks. Smarty - Designed more so for Common Rail (210 HP) not VP44 (60 HP Canbus only fuel).

Quadzilla provides EGT probe for free. Fuel pressure sensor is optional. Smarty - Not supplied with EGT probe.  

Edited by Mopar1973Man

4 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I like it more.  

I would also still be figuring out what turbo you have.  A hy35 ( which comes on 01/02) autos will choke above 32 psi.  

The guy who has it at the job now says its a hy35 turbo and yes its an auto. I only own autos because no one knows how to shift, except me. LOL As for psi its hit 40 at one point with me flooring it, but very high EGT's.

7 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

The hy35 is WAY out of its map thats the main issue for your EGT's WAY too much fuel for it.  

An hx35 would be a good cheap drop in or a bigger turbo if you want.  

I have another turbo off another 01, but it only has numbers on it. How can I tell if its a hy or hx?

6 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

72157d1501476852-hy35-vs-hx35-pics-dsc01

left hx right hy

I will run out and check my collection. lol

I have 2 HIMG_1478.JPG.15c3ddef5e1bf327910339fb24ecc27e.JPGY35 and 1 HX35W. I had the HX35W on the other 01 with the same mods and took it off because the EGT's were really high, like hit 1300 easily and above. It was a really laggy turbo too!

IMG_1477.JPG

2 hours ago, trreed said:

The math is looking at the fueling capabilities of the truck vs. what EGTs you are seeing, the amount of boost you are seeing (used to calculate pressure ratios), the weight that you are towing, and what your preference is for spooling.  And then things like your 4.30 gears will factor into the equation in that you still might have EGT issues due to the rpms you will be turning on the highway.  In your other post you asked about a 63/70/12 turbo.  Doesn't make sense how II got those measurements because SXE turbos are offered with 68mm or 73mm turbines.   But if you sourced a 63/68/12, you would have enough air and fuel for ~500hp.

Ok, Industrial Injection just wrote me back 

"Sorry, I should Clarify. Our Viper model is the 68mm turbine wheel, the 70 in model number refers to the A/R of the Housing. The .70 A/R turbine housing is the same as the 12cm. It is just a different way to measure the housing.

Sorry for the Confusion."

Any turbo you step up to will feel as laggy or more so than the HX35 you took off.  Reason being is the HY35 has a 9 cm^2 exhaust housing, which has excellent spooling characteristics, but chokes up top (hence your high EGT's).  The HX35 has the same .70 A/R (12 cm^2) housing as the Viper turbo you were looking at.  HX35 will spool better than the Viper turbo as well.

Last note, 1300* is just starting to get warm.  When the 1250* number was created, it was measured post turbo for an engine that was running at 100% load.  Pre-turbo temps are up to 200* hotter.  So I wouldn't even worry about the 1300*. But that's me and how I run my truck.  

Edited by trreed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

Smaller the exhaust housing the quicker the spool but also caps out the maximum boost you can produce. So larger exhaust housing like HX35 at 12cmor like some custom turbos that have 14cm2 will allow for more boost but the turbo lag increases. Just think the H1C turbo off the 1st Gen Cummins is a 21cm2 exhaust housing without a wastegate.

3 hours ago, trreed said:

Any turbo you step up to will feel as laggy or more so than the HX35 you took off.  Reason being is the HY35 has a 9 cm^2 exhaust housing, which has excellent spooling characteristics, but chokes up top (hence your high EGT's).  The HX35 has the same .70 A/R (12 cm^2) housing as the Viper turbo you were looking at.  HX35 will spool better than the Viper turbo as well.

Last note, 1300* is just starting to get warm.  When the 1250* number was created, it was measured post turbo for an engine that was running at 100% load.  Pre-turbo temps are up to 200* hotter.  So I wouldn't even worry about the 1300*. But that's me and how I run my truck.  

This turbo I have the HX35W not a HX35 is there a difference maybe? I had it on the same style truck with the same set up as the other one and it had higher egt's is why I took it off. Do you think its because of the TST/Smarty with 110 injectors? Maybe if I just get a Adrenaline and first try it with the HY than the HX to see the difference? I am just guessing.

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Smaller the exhaust housing the quicker the spool but also caps out the maximum boost you can produce. So larger exhaust housing like HX35 at 12cmor like some custom turbos that have 14cm2 will allow for more boost but the turbo lag increases. Just think the H1C turbo off the 1st Gen Cummins is a 21cm2 exhaust housing without a wastegate.

So basically you cant have the best of both worlds your saying, of course until I have twins. LOL  You either have to have a smaller housing for quicker spool  w/ higher EGT's or a larger one that gets laggy and lower EGT's at top end.

HX35 = HX35W in this context.  I just never type the W.  It is possible to have a non wastegated HX, and that would be a true HX35.  But for any HX35 that came off of a dodge truck, it is a gated version and I use HX35 and HX35W as synonyms.

It should have higher egt's when taking off due to the larger exhaust housing (slower spooling), but on the top end egt's should be cooler than the HY35.  My guess is you had a boost leak somewhere.  That tuning and similar injectors have been used for years on both HY and HX turbos.  If you get the Adrenaline, put the HX on and don't look back. The HY will continue to reach its choke point and you will still have egt issues.

Edited by trreed
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If it wasn't for the exhaust brake I would jump for sure into a Borg Warner or something bigger. If my wallet was loaded with cash I'd love to have a custom made turbo that kept my exhaust brake but using more common sizes like the 62/68/12. 

Hybrids arnt 2 spendy I ran one 63 67 12

• Thanks 1

@Dieselfuture had a hybrid built for like $800. An HX35 is also a hell of a secondary for towing, when paired with an s472 or s475, for when you do get compounds. Great response and supports around 500-525 hp with your current injectors and tuning. 

Edited by trreed
  • Like 1