• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

+50 Injectors

• Owner

Still baffled by the lack of boost. 

Drive pressure leaks (crack manifold or blown exhaust gaskets)

Wastegate malfunction (wastegate rusted/stuck open)

Boost leaks...

Another dumb question? Do you have an exhaust brake? Is it stuck closed? This could produce seriously high EGT's and lack of boost pressure. 

The fact there is that much EGT's you've got the fuel but are you getting the drive pressure to the turbine to spin the compressor.

I've seen several photos floating around the Internet of turbos with broken shafts. Damaged turbine wheel or damaged compressor wheels.

Look for wheel damage. Chipped fins, rub marks where it's made contact.

Image result for turbo turbine wheel damage

Wastegate seen here.

Image result for holset turbo wastegate stuck open

It might be worth pulling that turbo to look at both sides. So you can inspect the wastegate and the turbine wheel. 

Another stupid question. When you turn the switch on what does your EGT  gauge read? My tranny temp gauge is out of whack and sometimes reads 150+ * on a cold tranny. Cruising down the road empty it will show 210*. Yet I can still put my hand on the tranny. Just a thought.

Waiting for my Quadzilla. I'm sure you guys will have plenty of help for me when I install it. Pulled the race trailer Friday eve. Made some REALLY hard pulls with it and each time the smoke cleared up a little bit more. Boost was up to 34 at one time. EGTs were still high but it would NOT peg the gauge. Easy question. When I let off the throttle too quick there is a loud, sharp, wooshing noise and my boost gauge bounces dramatically. I have heard that noise many time at the tractor pulls but never from this truck before. What is that noise?

It is called turbo bark. When let out fast under hard throttle the boost you are produce trys to go the other way since the engine can't use it. Very harsh on the turbo as understand it, trys to turn the turbo backwards. I am sure someone can explain better than me.

• Owner
42 minutes ago, dripley said:

It is called turbo bark. When let out fast under hard throttle the boost you are produce trys to go the other way since the engine can't use it. Very harsh on the turbo as understand it, trys to turn the turbo backwards. I am sure someone can explain better than me.

Close enough...

Dave is right. The boost pressure is built up in the air intake system and when you drop off the throttle the drive pressure drops away from the turbine. So now the pressure attempts to leave the manifold the easiest way it can by blowing back out the mouth of the turbo. Since there is no drive pressure on the turbine the boost pressure can spin the shaft backward as the air rushing out the mouth of the turbo. This is harsh on the turbo and possible to break the turbine shaft. 

Not a Holset turbo but you get the point...

Image result for holset turbo broken shaft