• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Power Steering Pump

4 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

How often you change your power steering fluid

Well I hate to say this but I have never completely changed or flushed my PS fluid. I have on several occasions taken the "turkey baster" thing and sucked what fluid I could get out of it and replaced it. I cant say that is the best thing to do by any means since most folks have seen failures long before I have. The only thing that has failed on mine is the hydro boost. It blew the seals. But I am in a minority on this. Most folks have see other failures long before me. So please dont let my experience set your maintenance schedules. You might pay a price.  

• Like 2

Guest 04Mach1

Not the same make of vehicle but I got around 597,000 and 40 years on the original power steering pump in my 78 F150. The fluid gets slowly replaced since the swivel joint on the pressure side seeps and has for the 21 years I've owned it and no telling how long when my grandpa owned it. It has that whiney and growling pump that Ford was famous for in the 70's and 80's. Still has the original untouched steering box too.

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

Let's just say Dripley's abusing his truck a bit. Maybe that turkey baster is just enough to keep you from trouble. I still suggest purging the system and refreshing the system completely forcing all old fluid out and refill with fresh fluid.

He speaks a lot of truth on this. I also have a weepy head gasket for believing the 100k mile change of coolant like the owners manual suggests. Go figure!!!!!

8 hours ago, dripley said:

I also have a weepy head gasket for believing the 100k mile change of coolant like the owners manual suggests.

I had mine whipping oil at 120k that's when I bought my truck, drove with rtv in front bolt hole for maybe 6 years or more and had 154k when I finally changed it because the leaking got bad. I did change all fluids when I first got it though. When I took head gasket off it was missing chunks in more than one place, I'm surprised I didn't have more problems.