• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

HELP!!! Im about to buy a 99 Dodge will an 02 motor fit in it?!

We found a truck down in Muskogee, OK the other day that is a 99 and has a cracked 53 BUT it comes with a 56 block out of an 02 for free and today I'm supposed to put a down payment on it. My question before I screw myself is, WILL THE 02 WORK IN A 99. Got a hell of a deal and don't wanna find myself upside down in this deal.

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Won't work. Wiring issues, cam issues, gear case issue, etc. Best to buy another 1999 engine that way there are no issues. 

Ok, we decided we are gonna stitch it probably. Will an 01 work in a 99 or still problems? Both are 5spd SO.

• Owner
3 minutes ago, TheGreatWhite said:

Will an 01 work in a 99 or still problems? Both are 5spd SO.

No. Again gear case issues, cam issues wiring issues. only a 98.5, 99 or 2000. 

3 minutes ago, TheGreatWhite said:

Ok, we decided we are gonna stitch it probably

That won't work either. Most fail again after stitch the black back together. 

The only thing you could do is convert the entire truck over to 2001 or 2002 but this requires replacing all the wiring harness cab included, change the gear case, change the cam, change both PCM and ECM as a pair. 

Still much easier to find a 98.5, 99, or 2000 engine. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No. Again gear case issues, cam issues wiring issues. only a 98.5, 99 or 2000. 

That won't work either. Most fail again after stitch the black back together. 

The only thing you could do is convert the entire truck over to 2001 or 2002 but this requires replacing all the wiring harness cab included, change the gear case, change the cam, change both PCM and ECM as a pair. 

Still much easier to find a 98.5, 99, or 2000 engine. 

The guy we are taking it to has a lifetime warranty and guarantees it to not recrack and hasn't had anyone come back though. I've also read and heard from multiple people that it is a permanent fix that people don't know about

• Owner
2 minutes ago, TheGreatWhite said:

The guy we are taking it to has a lifetime warranty and guarantees it to not recrack and hasn't had anyone come back though. I've also read and heard from multiple people that it is a permanent fix that people don't know about

This would be a first... I've never heard of a stitched block holding up...

4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

This would be a first... I've never heard of a stitched block holding up...

Either way we don't have many options, we have 2 motors, the 02 HO with blowby and an 01 SO slightly cracked 53 and apparently neither will work, so what's really our other option? Hard to find an older motor like that around here. My only hope is that the truck is a 99.5 and we can put the 01 in it.

• Owner

The problem is the crank sensor was moved to the cam. Then the early version cam sensor was removed. The cam gear has a tone ring now in the later series so this requires changing the cam. Since the cam tone ring is in a different position then that means the gear case has to be swapped. If you think you can just swap the electronics this typically turns into a bigger issue because of the wiring difference and communication difference between early and late trucks. 

This is why its best to get the same year of engine that way there are no issues with electronics versus mechanical. 

If you give me a call some time I can explain easier on the phone what the problem is and why this is such a headache to deal with. 

32 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The problem is the crank sensor was moved to the cam. Then the early version cam sensor was removed. The cam gear has a tone ring now in the later series so this requires changing the cam. Since the cam tone ring is in a different position then that means the gear case has to be swapped. If you think you can just swap the electronics this typically turns into a bigger issue because of the wiring difference and communication difference between early and late trucks. 

This is why its best to get the same year of engine that way there are no issues with electronics versus mechanical. 

If you give me a call some time I can explain easier on the phone what the problem is and why this is such a headache to deal with. 

That would be easier in my opinion to talk over the phone. How do I get in contact with you?

• Owner
11 minutes ago, TheGreatWhite said:

Sorry I just saw this, never notified me that you responded

Check your personal notifications and see if it's turned on. 

11 minutes ago, TheGreatWhite said:

I will call you whenever you're free, since its Memorial day now.

Anytime I'm around today, gone tomorrow...