• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

D80 ring and pinion

I put a used d80 in my cummins a month or so ago and I just filled the fluid everything turned ok so I said whatever well pulling a trailer back 300 miles yesterday I lost the abs speed sensor no mph abs brake light on blah sp I go get another sensor thinking that was shot  pulled it out and half of it was missing well long story short everything meshes and is quiet so I'm going to run it just weird 

IMG_20180616_174753_445.jpg

• Sad 1

I did that yesterday when I changed sensor long story short I pulled the cover and that came out located where it came from it was the back of the pinion most  of the tooth is still there and everything  is quiet and turns smoothly so ing going to run it 

I replaced my ring and pinion due to a tiny chip in the ring gear (from shredded spider gears).  A whole tooth missing like that is asking for trouble down the road, since helical gears distribute the load across three or so teeth, eventually the two surrounding teeth will give out too.  A Spicer ring and pinion is $198 from rock auto.

Edited by trreed
  • Like 1

Gotta remember these axles are getting towards 20 years old.... Metal is gonna fatigue in that time, and they're rated for 2000 ft-lbs of continuous torque... which can easily be exceeded in stock form.  Mine was holding fantastically until i got stupid about it.

42 minutes ago, trreed said:

Gotta remember these axles are getting towards 20 years old.... Metal is gonna fatigue in that time, and they're rated for 2000 ft-lbs of continuous torque... which can easily be exceeded in stock form.  Mine was holding fantastically until i got stupid about it.

Hardened titanium and maybe 2 more alloted brain cells to control or, Hold my beer and watch this!!!!!:burnout: Snap crackle pop!!

Edited by dripley
  • Haha 1

I misspoke.  Looks like a Dana 80 is rated for 3000 ft-lbs input torque, 2500 ft-lbs COT (continuous output torque) and 10000 ft-lbs MMOT (Maximum Momentary Output Torque)

Edited by trreed

12 hours ago, trreed said:

I misspoke.  Looks like a Dana 80 is rated for 3000 ft-lbs input torque, 2500 ft-lbs COT (continuous output torque) and 10000 ft-lbs MMOT (Maximum Momentary Output Torque)

This sounds like quite a bit, I think I'll be lucky if I'm making 1000ftlb and 400hp

Yeah, assuming @Dieselfuture reaches his maximum torque of 1000 ft-lbs in 4th gear (1.39:1), that's 1390 ft-lbs input to the D80.  Adds up quick, if we assume maximum torque can be reached in 3rd or even 2nd.  Even more when in 4Lo and an additional 2.72:1 is multiplied in.

Edited by trreed
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Silverdodge said:

Well blew the pinion last night

Makes me rethink my new 7x10 :think:, need to learn how to ease in to it man :burnout:

But seriously it must be age of these axles and the abuse other the years, hard to believe a healthy d80 will grenade with 500hp but then again I've blown up 2.5 ton stuff pretty easy before too.

19 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Makes me rethink my new 7x10 :think:, need to learn how to ease in to it man :burnout:

But seriously it must be age of these axles and the abuse other the years, hard to believe a healthy d80 will grenade with 500hp but then again I've blown up 2.5 ton stuff pretty easy before too.

We think the pinion had issues before hand