• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Unfortunately I have to put my old headlights back in

Only because I'm adding HIds to my current ones. 

HIDs.jpg.afdc46fbfeddcf4669e451fef0926410.jpg

I went the lower budget sets from Amazon as I can't afford the big ones right now. I'm going to need a new VP44 soon and also a set of tires.  After reading some of the posts here, I decided too go with the H1 35 watt version and got a relay.  I also got a pair of 9004 headlight extensions so I can tap off my light circuit for the relay and magnet for the high beams.

Anyway, I plan to put my old lights back in so I can take my time getting the projectors fitted and adjusted properly.  I decided to try to clean the lenses before putting them back in and got the turtle wax restoration kit.  I was skeptical but I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.  The kit also has a sealer to put on the lenses to help it stay clear longer.  I probably could have gotten it clearer but I only need them for about a week.  

Headlights.jpg.7f1be492fae2a2ebafefad24532ed70b.jpg

I have to go out of town this weekend to bring my daughter to orchestra camp at FSU so I won't be able to start until next week.

L8tr

d

• Owner

I know the feeling. :broke:

That why in the past I did the sport headlight upgrade. Then found out being cheap cost me more in the long run. My sport headlight where only used for one year and pulled because the light quality was really poor. Even with 4 bulbs burning. Then hunting around for HID upgrades. My problem was I didn't want to do this all over again so I went the full meal deal. Yeah, I was rubbing my tail and my wallet as the $700 flew out of my wallet. I'm not sorry I ordered the set I did. I got the Morimoto D2S lens which is bigger than the H1 mini's which most of the members here used. Did the same thing on the driving light I did the cheap method of using 100w aircraft landing light for years. This ended up costing me more, in the long run, being the bulbs are $22 a piece now and only last about 9 months. So I jumped for the quality light and did the PIAA LED driving lights. These lights for only 18w are so bright that in the snow you have to shut them off your eyes get tired of the light reflection. Between the two light sets, I've spent $1,000 on lighting. Sounds like a lot but its worth every penny. 

8 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That why in the past I did the sport headlight upgrade. Then found out being cheap cost me more in the long run. My sport headlight where only used for one year and pulled because the light quality was really poor. Even with 4 bulbs burning. Then hunting around for HID upgrades. My problem was I didn't want to do this all over again so I went the full meal deal. Yeah, I was rubbing my tail and my wallet as the $700 flew out of my wallet. I'm not sorry I ordered the set I did. I got the Morimoto D2S lens which is bigger than the H1 mini's which most of the members here used. Did the same thing on the driving light I did the cheap method of using 100w aircraft landing light for years. This ended up costing me more, in the long run, being the bulbs are $22 a piece now and only last about 9 months. So I jumped for the quality light and did the PIAA LED driving lights. These lights for only 18w are so bright that in the snow you have to shut them off your eyes get tired of the light reflection. Between the two light sets, I've spent $1,000 on lighting. Sounds like a lot but its worth every penny. 

Trust me, I would love to have the Morimotos.  Unfortunately with my VP44 on its way out and only a few thousand miles left on my tires (and they are getting too old, from 2014)  I couldn't justify the additional expense right now. My lights work great on low beam but suck on high.  I figured that out on my trip to NY over memorial day. Driving all the back roads at night on the lookout for deer was not fun.

Speaking of my trip to NY memorial day, my mileage well exceeded my expectations. I lost 1 receipt so can't get exact numbers but did average slightly over 19 mpg for a 2900 mile round trip.  I left the Thursday before, got there Friday night, left Monday morning & got home Tuesday night. My best tank as 20.6 and worst was 17.4. I was thinking that if I got 17 I would be satisfied.  Not too bad with a truck with 4:10's.

L8tr

D

Guest 04Mach1
On 6/21/2018 at 9:35 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

I can second that Sport headlights suck. That's what I've got in the 2001. I got mine from Certi-fit in Denver a few years ago. Low beams are okMVIMG_20171124_170956.jpg.fd96d5db60bd9b8edf9af0861e0abd46.jpg but high beams are non existent. I went with some LED bulbs from Amazon to improve low beam performance so I could get by without high beams. I've been happy so far.

22 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Silver what signs are you getting that your VP is going out as those mileage numbers aren't to alarming?

BTW, are you running TCW3 in ea tank full?

I've been getting the extended cranking for 3-4 months and 7-8 dead pedal in the last 2 months (all very random). Been running TCW3 since I got it from my brother. Using about 2 is per gallon now instead of 1. I attribute these issues to my brother's ignorance. He had stock lift pump changed once and that one died when I bought it.  He never used fuel treatment & assume he'd ran with low pressure. He used it for towing horses around for his daughter. 

Mileage not alarming to me...just higher than anticipated

L8tr

D

• Like 1

• Staff

I do have a lot of faith in these trucks if taken care of. Its also an advantage to have them a bit older to where you can find all the information about their weak points and be proactive about reliability. I have two second gens because of a small construction company I own... sometimes owns me, but hearing about the newer stuff causes me to want to hang on to them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...