• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So I'm getting a strange oder out of my vents when I first turn them on but goes away after a little bit. Everything works fine, A/c and heat work great. Its not a sweet smell at all so I'm pretty sure its not the heater core. Any thoughts let me know.

Likely from the crud and debry in the drainage tray that builds up over time around the heater core and evaporator core. The condensation builds up on the crud and when you turn the A/C off it mildews. You can minimize this by turning you A/C to vent fan and the fan to HI a few miles before you get to your destination. This helps to dry out the evaporator area.

So is there any permanate method to get rid of the smell or is it something I am just going to have to lve with?:shrug:

You can tear your dash open and clean out the evaporator tray as well as disinfect that area which is a MAJOR job or live with it as was mentioned above. No really fast and easy solution to fix this problem permanently. At least as far as I am aware of. :smart:

• Owner

Actually running the heater doesn't do much...

Posted Image

The other thing to check is the drain on the passender side firewall and make sure its not blocked up and filling with swampy water (the stink)...

Heater core is after ther evaporator... So the only way to really cure this problem is to pull the system out and clean the entire HVAC system... Between ISX and myself I'm sure we can get you through it...

The air enter on the passenger side from the cowling... Right above the blower motor...

Posted Image

• Like 1

• Staff

All 3 of my rigs do it (Dodge, Toyota, VW). There is a Dodge TSB out on how to clean it, at least the 3rd gens... But I would bet putting a little Clorox cleaner thru the intake would kill the smell.. and the color of the seats. When I remember to turn my a/c off about 1/4 mile before the house it seems to help.

Actually running the heater doesn't do much...

Posted Image

The other thing to check is the drain on the passender side firewall and make sure its not blocked up and filling with swampy water (the stink)...

Heater core is after ther evaporator... So the only way to really cure this problem is to pull the system out and clean the entire HVAC system... Between ISX and myself I'm sure we can get you through it...

The air enter on the passenger side from the cowling... Right above the blower motor...

Posted Image

that is sweet and thank you mopar!!!

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

All 3 of my rigs do it (Dodge, Toyota, VW). There is a Dodge TSB out on how to clean it, at least the 3rd gens... But I would bet putting a little Clorox cleaner thru the intake would kill the smell.. and the color of the seats.

When I remember to turn my a/c off about 1/4 mile before the house it seems to help.

same here boss!!:thumb1::woot::smart: