• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VP44 Keyway Dropped into Gear Case

12 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

How does one know if case is the updated type or not?  

Thanks

If the case is the updated version, the outer end of the pin's bore will be 'stepped' to a smaller diameter than the pin, thus preventing it becoming a KDP. At least that's what mine looks like.

11 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

That is a bunch of them on eBay for under 10 bucks, but it just says aftermarket no brand name, but they all look like they came from the same place.

What is that black o ring for in the kit

Good question... The genuine Cummins seals I've gotten a bunch of times never had the black ring. 

There is some difference between the 2 cases. There is a bulge in my case just below the 2nd bolt above the dowel. Then the case differs at the second and third bolt below the dowel. I dont, however, know that that is indicative of the newer case that wont let the dowel work out. 

• Thanks 1

Good catch on those two differences @dripley, my "updated" case looks like yours. Maybe some others can chime in regarding their case version and whether or not the KDP bore is stepped or not.

I've got everything buttoned back up on the truck and am waiting a bit longer for the gasket to cure. Then the moment of truth for my new crank seal and new VP!

Ok guys, I bled the lines and it fired right up. It runs more smoothly and is marginally quieter than before. Not only that, neither the new crank seal nor the timing cover were spraying oil everywhere. 

Thanks for the help guys, hope I don't have to do that again for another 184,000 miles!

Well, bad news. I'm getting a P0216 code now with the new pump. I've cleared the code twice and done a couple of lengthy drives, but it returns. What I'm thinking happened is: when I installed the pump, I knocked the gear out of the housing and could possibly have reinstalled the gear a tooth off. The key was installed the correct way and is seated nicely in the keyway, so it's the only thing I'm coming up with other than a faulty VP. I'm waiting for the truck to cool down so I can get the timing cover back off. My question is: how do I know the correct alignment of the pump gear with regards to cam gear? Also, does anybody know how the truck would run if that were the issue? Lower idle? Would it affect fuel pressure?

There are marks on the cam and pump gears for alignment purposes. The only code that would really be set by a misaligned gear set is a cam code, because the ecm compares the internal VP position sensor to the cam position sensor. The VP should be able to adjust timing back down to its specified range if the teeth were off. The 0216 code spells a dead pump to me

• Owner
On 9/29/2018 at 9:50 AM, 015point9 said:

Anybody know...was this kdp problem on 53 blocks or all blocks?

@dripley  sig line says 2002

@Bafazane sig line says 2001.

Makes me wonder if updated cases were at that time?  

But obviously best thing to do is check.  

I tried finding a side by side pic for comparison with no luck.  

I've seen one dealer invoice for 2002 truck with a gear case replacement because of a KDP. Typically the end of the line is 2001. Just that fluke that a few 2002 trucks ended up with an old school KDP case. I've checked mine and have the updated case already.