• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I guess the dash is gonna come out again... smell antifreezing from vents...

I had a garage install a new condenser several years ago, pretty well broke the bank & the dash plastics have never fitted just right since then. I've recharged the AC just to get by. The AC / heater is stuck on defrost (the default mode) so the vacume vent control is out. I haven't been able to test the vacume yet. (My ability to accomplish anything is pretty dinimished by my disability.) So now I'm smelling antifreeze. Might as well make it worthwhile pulling the dash.I just the Cirus back from the shop today. Brakes all around (discs, pads, drums, shoes, a rubber line), and hopefully sealed the rear tires to the rims. I might just sign my check & hand it to them, but they'll probably want the rest of their money too.Russ

Never seems to fail, one thing after another. I feel your pain brother. Sometimes it seems like were just throwing money at these things just for something else to go out, and nothings cheap anymore.:banghead: If I could only find a spare 50K to get me a shiny new one that has one of those warranty thingys.

• Owner

More along the lines of you need 2 million dollars... :drool: The first million to pay for all your current bills, debts, loans, and repair everything... :spend: Then the second million for taking a vacation away from all the the crap you had to put up with... :spend: Now your broke again... :broke: Well I know that a if a shop charges you more than 4 hours for that heater core they are pulling you leg... Also heater core is running abot $120 to $130 roughly...

Just the condenser, several years ago, set me back $500. I think the condenser may be gone again, plus the heater core, plus the vacume control. Once the dash is out, might as well fix them all. I can't really turn wrenches myself anymore... can not even stand unsupported & only one good hand. Russ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Owner

You'll need a heater core and a A/C line removal tool. Rest of it all standard hand tools. As for the Vacuum system you'll be able to see all the vacuum motors once the HVAC box is removed from the truck. You'll be able to use a hand operated vacuum pump to test everything. As for recharging the A/C system I wish your closer Russ I got everything here right now... I got 8 cans of R134a freon, vacuum pump, manifold gauges, and lots of time! :ahhh:

• Owner

Well from my experience that heater core and A/C evaporator from NAPA isn't bad at all.. They are both about $120 a piece. Oh you did remind me that the you'll need smoe foam weather stripping to re-seal both the heater core and the A/C evaporator units. You could just place the new units in and forget about it but I'm the type that wants 99.9% effieciency from everything I can!

That's the way I did mine! I saw it on the site owner's diy webpage I think or he posted it somewhere a while back. Not bad at all to do!

Where is that write-up? I'd like to look that over. I am smelling antifreeze in the cab when I put the heat on. Not leaking on the floor...yet. Anybody had any luck using Bars Leak to plug up a heater core? bb