• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Nv4500 always hard to shift?

• Owner
5 minutes ago, Ravewolf said:

I was also thinking along that train of thought too. Either way I'll keep double clutching until further notice. 

This is why you can't judge the 50 WT transmission fluid as a cause being you've added more rotational mass in your clutch. Then blame the fluid. Very very common. Now if you had a single disc clutch you would see the very same thing I do with good shift quality. 

Way too many time people claim they changed fluids attempting to resolve a shift problem beforehand and then the problem worsens after the fluid change and the blame is tossed on the fluid instantly. When in fact the majority of the time the shift problem is a pre-existing clutch issue or pilot bearing issues. 

Personally, I think the 50 WT will provide better protection overall being the lubricant is much thicker and withstands temperature better than a thinner grade of lubricant that would get too thin in heavy towing or high summer heat. Being 50 WT transmission fluid is designed around the Eaton Fuller transmissions and hauling 80,000-pound loads. It should be a piece of cake for the 50 WT to do its job for a mere 8,000-pound truck.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Being 50 WT transmission fluid is designed around the Eaton Fuller transmissions and hauling 80,000-pound loads. It should be a piece of cake for the 50 WT to do its job for a mere 8,000-pound truck.

I would definitely consider using Valvoline 50wt synthetic that claims to work on synchromesh if I was 100% sure about no long-term damage. But now knowing people are run 15-40 motor oil in nv5600 maybe I will try the 50weigh next time I change it. 

• Owner

Carbon syncro's require a Synthetic GL-4 lubricant.

WARNING: GL-5 lubricants will damage carbon fiber syncro's.

I can't speak for engine oils or ATF+4 for a transmission lubricant. Might be too thin for good protection. Like during my rebuild on my transmission the 5th gear itself was worn and required replacement. The hard facing was gone. I ran strictly the 75w-85 Mopar Fluid and it failed to protect. Which is the same values of 15w-40 engine oil.

When I reach 362k miles will be 100k miles on this transmission with 50 WT. Take me 8 more trips to Ontario, OR and I'll have 100k miles. My morning temperatures are dropping in the teens through New Meadows and Tamarack Mill. Very cold and the transmission temp is not even moving the transmission temp gauge off 100*F at all. I need at least 50*F outside temperature to even reach 110*F transmission temperature. Here before long, I'll be down in the -20*F realm for winter time.

Image result for gear lube viscosity

Edited by Mopar1973Man

1 hour ago, Ravewolf said:

I tried that trick, it seems to work somewhat at first. But still sometimes it's kinda hard, and I have to keep playing with the clutch to get it to go in

Sometimes, when the transmission input shaft comes to a stop, two teeth are lined up and contacting each other head on making it hard to shift into gear - that is normal.  If a pilot bearing is dragging, it will be hard to get into gear every time.

1 hour ago, Ravewolf said:

I doubled clutched all day yesterday, and she shifted beautifully

Double clutching allows you to use the throttle to control engine rpm's while passing through neutral to better match engine speed to road speed, as well.

Good to hear that the clutch and transmission are working okay.

- John

I can attest to the shift quality of an NV5600 with a southbend double disc. Really you just have to get used to shifting slower. Dont force it. 

If your having doubts about the hydraulics you can use an H bar puller to actuate the clutch fork manually. A call to south bend will also give you that information and i think it says so somewhere in the paperwork they give you with the clutch as well. 

We had a heck of a time trying to install a south bend in a customers truck here in the shop. Ended up going with a factory one instead but never could figure out what was wrong with the south bend one but it just flat out was not going into gear. Tried everything