• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Let's talk about shocks.

On 11/20/2018 at 7:27 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

If you would have just changed out the brake fluid that would of all needed to be done. When the brake starts to absorb water from the air it starts to oxidize in the system causing the pistons to stick. So just changing brake fluid and disassembling the calipers and cleaning them out would have done way more good. The problem is all the debris is drop in the bottom of the caliper and the bleeder screw is on top. 

Next on my Long, long list of things to get done..Clean out those calipers & replace the short section of rubber brake line as they start falling apart from the inside.

I've got kyb monomax on the rear and bilstein 5100s on the front.

The 5100s replaced a set of lessschwab shocks that were leaking. I haven't be to impressed with 5100s replacing leaky shocks didnt improve ride or handling much. I do have a 1500lb welder right behind the cab at all times and trucks full of tools.

I do have a set of kyb monomax bought for the front of the truck. I ended up reworking the mou tshirt on my jeep and used them on it. The improved the jeep handling a ton. This got me to thinking that they're all the same cookie cutter shocks.

Though j have a welder on board I feel the truck should feel more planted it does rent wollo around. I've also got 35" tires but on aluminum wheels. And am running a 2" space for looks. I have thought about some 2" coils to stiffen it up some. But fear I'd get more than two inches lift. 

For now I'll live with it. But will at some point get rid of the bilstein 5100s for fox 2.0s pr something similar.

Getting picky I guess. But was glad to swap the jeep over so it can share shocks with the truck and seems to do very good with the truck shocks on it.

Crystal drives the jeep alot and commented on how much better it rides with truck shocks on the front. I drive it on trails and it feels like it is planted in the dirt better. It also has no swaybars and does alright on the street

IMG_20180825_141959_912.jpg

IMG_20180825_151705_148.jpg

20190402_133430.jpg

20180715_184638.jpg

IMG_20180826_204921_713.jpg

Edited by Evan
  • Like 3

Well, I took the plunge & ordered the KYB's, I skipped the OEM match & went up just one notch to Gas a Just..  I wanted the 25% increase in performance/control instead of the Monomax line with 40-45% increase over OEM that I read multiple times daily drivers thought they were 2 stiff.  I really don't tow/pull very often mostly job to job with multiple ladders, building materials, etc..and then their is the camper. Should work out great, we shall see. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So I haven't been on much for over a year, lots of family issues and such but my 01 is still truckin. I have parts lined up to do a refresh on the front end, but I have not identified shocks yet. I just read this thread and I am still not decided. I have the original shock towers with a spacer, my truck has what I think is 4-6" of lift. I need to figure out how much exactly. I would like to take some lift out, but I want to ensure my plow mount doesn't get too close to the ground, I like the clearance I have currently, just not the ride or the effect on the suspension parts. Anyone here grab a set of the shock plates that replaces the original shock tower? If I get a set of those plates, how will I go about measuring for the proper length shocks? Any easy method to measure my truck to see how much the current lift is without removing the front spacers? Thanks gents, good to see the forum still doing well. 

• Like 1

• Staff
5 hours ago, jlongjohn said:

So I haven't been on much for over a year, lots of family issues and such but my 01 is still truckin. I have parts lined up to do a refresh on the front end, but I have not identified shocks yet. I just read this thread and I am still not decided. I have the original shock towers with a spacer, my truck has what I think is 4-6" of lift. I need to figure out how much exactly. I would like to take some lift out, but I want to ensure my plow mount doesn't get too close to the ground, I like the clearance I have currently, just not the ride or the effect on the suspension parts. Anyone here grab a set of the shock plates that replaces the original shock tower? If I get a set of those plates, how will I go about measuring for the proper length shocks? Any easy method to measure my truck to see how much the current lift is without removing the front spacers? Thanks gents, good to see the forum still doing well. 

What if I gave you stock height? Would that help? Tell me too, is it a 4x4 truck?

Edited by JAG1

I have the Bilstein 4600s ,,, yellow with blue boot   ... Nice shocks... several years old now

I had KYBs on a jeep many years ago.... Back then the were a pretty good shock lower priced than bilsteins ... IIRC years ago they were known to leak after a year or two, not as good as bilsein's reputation

Edited by GSP7

My 5100s feel like they arent doing much seem to be getting softer every day.

Been looking into fox shocks 2.0s I need want more control.

Between the 5100s on the front and kyb on rear my truck is all over the place. Just not enough control with a almost 10,000lb truck giving them hell.

Also thinking about dual shocks on the front get another pair of cheap shocks. Or  fox 2.0s performance series are bolt on

• Staff

I have the KYB Monomax on the 2002 slide in camper truck. They are fine when loaded at around 10,000, but they are too stiff when unloaded. Believe it when Katoom says they'll shake out your kidney stones.

On my 2001 I put on the factory replacement KYBs' and they are still very nice ride even after running down two mile long gravel roads everyday for a year..... I've had the shocks on almost 2 yrs.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

After less than 60k miles, I think my front Bilstein 4600s are needing replaced, but am not sure.  When given a solid "jounce" on the front bumper I quickly look through the wheel well and the shock is oscillating - is this a solid indicator the shocks should be replaced?

For a truck that rarely leaves the pavement, I expected them last a little longer, even with the heavy engine up front.  I am a curb crawler, not one that goes flying into driveways, etc!