• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Guest 04Mach1

5w-40 will give better flow characteristics when cold. You could see a minor increase in fuel mileage too since the oil pump will use less energy to pump the 5w-40. I've been running Rotella 5w-40 in my 01 year round for atleast the past 6 years with zero negative effects.

• Staff

Looking at the Amsoil spec's there isn't a lot of difference between the 15w-40 and the 5w-40, but the 0w-40 has an additional 14°F protection.

The hot properties of the 0w-40 are also better than the 5w-40. 

I would personally get the 0w-40 over the 5w-40. 

image.png.71bdd702d2c4a13273ae9bab1990ff14.png

• Owner
2 hours ago, 04Mach1 said:

You could see a minor increase in fuel mileage too since the oil pump will use less energy to pump the 5w-40.

I can see that during the warm-up period but after that point the viscosity is the same between 0w-40 (15.7) and 15w-40 (15.6) so there is no gains to be had after warm up. 

Just a point of reference for folks. 

40°C is equal to 104°F

100°C is equal to 212°F

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Sure didn’t wait too long for answers. 

If you ordered online you can probably call them when they open in the morning if you want to change. 

I buy in person at a distributor near me for cost 

What I put in cost me 23 a gal retail is 30 a gal so ya makes it worth it to but it at that price

Technically if anyone is interested in getting amsoil cheap and wants to order I could have it shipped 

Edited by Silverdodge
More like say u buy it from x company for 12 bucks a qt I can get it for 8

• Staff
29 minutes ago, Silverdodge said:

I buy in person at a distributor near me for cost 

What I put in cost me 23 a gal retail is 30 a gal so ya makes it worth it to but it at that price

Technically if anyone is interested in getting amsoil cheap and wants to order I could have it shipped 

I’m a dealer and do it the same with a direct jobber down the street. 

I’m going with DME this change, and I’ll be picking it up tomorrow. 

But honestly the 5w-40 doesn’t have the specs to warrant going away from the 15w-40, when you consider all of them. The 0w-40 does, if you need the cold protection. Keep that in mind for next change. 

3 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

I’m a dealer and do it the same with a direct jobber down the street. 

I’m going with DME this change, and I’ll be picking it up tomorrow. 

But honestly the 5w-40 doesn’t have the specs to warrant going away from the 15w-40, when you consider all of them. The 0w-40 does, if you need the cold protection. Keep that in mind for next change. 

I also didn't go signature I used ado usually i used adp

• Staff
6 minutes ago, Silverdodge said:

I also didn't go signature I used ado usually i used adp

Gotcha, no 0w-40 available outside of signature series. 

I didn't even think to look at ADO or ADP as I normally only look at their oils with extended drain intervals for non-DPF engines. 

My dad runs ADP in his '17, since has has to change it every 6 months (or mileage which isn't often) for his forever warranty.