• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47RE problems

Hey guys I have a 99 Ram 1500 with a 98 24V and 47RE. I did not perform all the swap. Problem is trans wants to start out in 2nd? gear in D. Sometimes you get first manually. It has 3rd. OD?. A lot of info pointed me to the governor solenoid and transducer. I changed them, still the same. I was told ecm was swapped and repinned. Where can I find some solid info on diag procedures? I've looked into a full manual valve body ,800$, and tried finding a standalone controller,1400$! Looking for advice. Thank you 

The governor and sensor are both really common. I wont sell one without the other working here at the dealer because i cant have people coming back in for the same problem and then there pissed about the wasted fluid and the extra work and extra money.

Having any codes would be a huge help.

If there really isnt any transmission codes it wouldnt hurt to make sure the shift linkage under the body is in good shape. I've never heard of any issues with it but given its a swapped truck its likely to be different from stock or they've used a linkage from another truck or who knows. The throttle valve cable? Isnt there an adjustment on that cable too? I cant remember maybe its only adjusted with the allen screw inside the trans. A quick search on my dealer site doesnt give me any info to any specific cases or service bulletins. Theres the tool on here if you do find a code.

Depending on who built the transmission you maybe starting in 2nd gear because the line pressure is to high. If you connect a line pressure gauge to your middle test port that would let us know what your transmission is seeing. Alternatively, you can unplug the electronics on the transmission to revert back to hydraulics and see if you start in 1st then.

My built DTT transmission requires a voltage regulator to start in 1st gear. If i turn the voltage up to high (closer to 5v, it starts in 2nd.

14 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

My built DTT transmission requires a voltage regulator to start in 1st gear. If i turn the voltage up to high (closer to 5v, it starts in 2nd.

Can you elaborate on this? By voltage regulator, do you mean just a potentiometer (variable resistor) cut in series with the governor pressure sensor feedback to the PCM to limit voltage? When I put my trans back in I'm going to need to do something about this, so I'm curious.

Codes will set (and thus 2nd or 3rd gear starts) when too much pressure is seen by the PCM on the governor circuit. You can have high line pressure, as long as you keep it out of the governor circuit. DTT uses that voltage regulator thing (don't get me started on those...) to skew the voltage to the transducer so that the returning signal does not exceed a certain threshold and set a code. This kind of works...most of the time, but doesn't solve the problem of the transducer being subjected to high pressure after the governor pressure solenoid pulls wide open. There needs to be a pressure relief on the governor circuit to limit the pressure that the transducer sees. That is actually the solution to the "limp mode" issues and higher gear starts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kzimmer said:

Can you elaborate on this? By voltage regulator, do you mean just a potentiometer (variable resistor) cut in series with the governor pressure sensor feedback to the PCM to limit voltage? When I put my trans back in I'm going to need to do something about this, so I'm curious.

Dynamic couldn't have stated it any better. DTT had me wire this into the 5v coming from the PCM going to the transmission. Goerend uses a resister soldered into the valve body.

3 hours ago, Dynamic said:

Codes will set (and thus 2nd or 3rd gear starts) when too much pressure is seen by the PCM on the governor circuit. You can have high line pressure, as long as you keep it out of the governor circuit. DTT uses that voltage regulator thing (don't get me started on those...) to skew the voltage to the transducer so that the returning signal does not exceed a certain threshold and set a code. This kind of works...most of the time, but doesn't solve the problem of the transducer being subjected to high pressure after the governor pressure solenoid pulls wide open. There needs to be a pressure relief on the governor circuit to limit the pressure that the transducer sees. That is actually the solution to the "limp mode" issues and higher gear starts.

This leads back to me trying to get a hold of you about redoing my valve body.