• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New to quadzilla

Unreal Summit

This morning I started my truck and walked away the high idel tried to kick on and cut right back out. 30 seconds later it done it again. So I just pulled out my phone and cut off the warm up mode. What can cause this?  It was 27° this morning so I know it was cold enough. 

• Owner

So... After you turned off the warm-up mode the high idle did stop correct? I'm just wanting to verify which high idle system is operating. I know the ECM high idle from Cummins will cut out if the engine load is too high during the high idle mode. Like exhaust brake, grid heater load and super cold temperatures can cause Cummins ECM to cut out the high idle. As for the Quadzilla high idle I'm assuming its an APPS fooler but not sure if there is a cancel trigger because of excessive load.

I only have quadzilla high idle for now. When I started my truck I let it run and walked off the high idle kicked up then off after maybe 2 seconds. Then 30 seconds later it kicked up to 900 or 1000 then right back to normal idle. After the second time I got a little worried and just used the app to turn off warm up mode all together. It didn't go into high idle anymore.

• Owner

It's possible the MAP sensor failed within spec. In other would just stuck at the 12 PSI value. It won't throw a P0237 or P0238 code because it not out of range. Then it won't trip a P0234 code because it not over boosting. The only one it "Might" trip is the P0236 code because it not changing value and stay high long than it should. The P0236 code will not set a CEL.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I wouldn't replace anything yet.  

from 0-16 psi the quadzilla is reading boost from the data sent out from the ecm.  If the quad shows 12 psi all the time then the ecm is seeing 12 psi all the time.  

More than likely it is a failing map sensor, but I would wait until it happens again and troubleshoot when you have the issue to make sure you narrow the issue.    

It is fairly common for the map to fail like this.  Most never reconize it as most tuners dont show you the issue.  

• Like 1

• Owner
3 minutes ago, Unreal Summit said:

I never really paid attention to it but some days the truck would feel lazy then other days it would be peppy! I'll wait till it does it again or gets worse. Guess oem is the best option to replace with right 

I would watch the live data. ECT, IAT and Engine Load. When the IAT falls below +80F then the ECM kicks in extra +4 degrees of timing roughly. Which might be too much timing for cold weather and high cetane fuels. Then when the IAT warm up above the +80F then the timing retards and the performance typically improves. This all can be seen with engine load and cruise control. 

• Owner
17 minutes ago, Unreal Summit said:

I'll put those up on my screen today so I can watch um. If that happens can it hurt my truck? That's alot of timing.

Doubtful seriously. ISB engines will take quite a bit of timing. The thing is by the time you get to the point of bucking you should have already noticed the engine load is higher because of negative torque. This is why I limit my MAX timing slider to 27 degrees because beyond that point bucking starts. VP44 is capable of 32 degrees of timing. As injectors get larger more timing is needed. I'm going to step up to 7 x 0.010 injectors since my current 7 x 0.0085 have nearly 100k miles already. I'm after efficiency but try to match Nick and get the same number he did.