• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo smart blow off valve

• Owner
On 1/30/2019 at 7:51 PM, Mad Bomber said:

If you never barked a 35/40 your not driving it hard enough or don't live in a big city. I was trying to get onto hwy 99 had to really go and exploded the whole thing when I shifted. Parts were found in piston and every where else

20170402_154711-1.jpg

At least I know the limits of my equipment. Yeah, I know how far I can push that turbo. Remember its only a 12cm2 housing. Excessive driver pressure will over spin the compressor and if it's out of balance just a little it would go to piece like your picture of yours. These things spin at some seriously high RPM's and reaching beyond what it capable of is risky at best. Sorry to see this kind of damage, sucks to have to rebuild an engine because of turbo failure. 

9 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

sucks to have to rebuild an engine because of turbo failure. 

It sounds like the engine ran after until the 53 block cracked, so no permanent damage from the turbo blowing up?

Edit: @Mad Bomber I didn't see that you replied until I clicked send.

Edited by kzimmer

5 minutes ago, Mad Bomber said:

Yep still ran till we ran out of coolant on the side of hwy. We were still 150 to home. So I used water in the trailer to refill multiple times. Last 30 miles or so I just continued to drive home with not much in it and getting real hot.

So did turbo have anything to do with rebuilding or just the cracked 53 is why you rebuilt it. Didn't some turbo pieces make it to engine?

I could see where the pieces had gouged the other side of intercooler and even the piece before the grid heaters. I was surprised at the number and also the size of them. I guess just the force of 40+ psi and sounded like a M80 blew up under the hood. I also had 100's of pieces in the air filter. Just expand the pic and look at how much is missing off wheel

Edited by Mad Bomber