• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Question regarding 2000-2002 original steel dually wheels. Paint or powder coat?

Hey guys,

I've been looking for these wheels, hard to find. 7 slot holes, and slightly different offset from the pre-2000 2nd gens. I occasionally come across them on craigslist & ebay etc, but they are few and far between since they were only made for the 2000 - 2002 model year 3500 duallys. But alas I do find them!

My question has to do with the factory coating. Does anyone know if the original factory coating for these 2000-2002  wheels was paint? or powder coat?

Thanks!

dodge wheels.JPG

Edited by Ironforger
changed topic

2 hours ago, Ironforger said:

Hey guys,

I've been looking for these wheels, hard to find. 7 slot holes, and slightly different offset from the pre-2000 2nd gens. I occasionally come across them on craigslist & ebay etc, but they are few and far between since they were only made for the 2000 - 2002 model year 3500 duallys. But alas I do find them!

My question has to do with the factory coating. Does anyone know if the original factory coating for these 2000-2002  wheels was paint? or powder coat?

Thanks!

dodge wheels.JPG

I'm sure they were just paint, I just had my 7 wheels Powered coated in Gunmetal gray, found some 7/8" lug covers on E-bay since I've lost 3 of the 4 center wheel caps

20181206_162056.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

I'm sure they were just paint, I just had my 7 wheels Powered coated in Gunmetal gray, found some 7/8" lug covers on E-bay since I've lost 3 of the 4 center wheel caps

That looks really good, I was thinking the same thing, either gunmetal it the aluminum paint of the original.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

20181206_162056.jpg

That looks good. Do you know the brand and color code for that gun metal?, also, was it a single stage or 2 stage powder coat ?(first stage color, second stage gloss)  I also had mine done in gun metal a few years ago (single stage, but me thinks I like your color better!  Also, I got these aftermarket stainless hub covers from an online vendor which were fairly inexpensive. Prefer to keep water and dirt out of the center hub. Truck did not come with the originals, and they are WAYYYY to expensive to purchase oem. 

front.JPG

rear.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ironforger said:

That looks good. Do you know the brand and color code for that gun metal?, also, was it a single stage or 2 stage powder coat ?(first stage color, second stage gloss)  I also had mine done in gun metal a few years ago (single stage, but me thinks I like your color better!  Also, I got these aftermarket stainless hub covers from an online vendor which were fairly inexpensive. Prefer to keep water and dirt out of the center hub. Truck did not come with the originals, and they are WAYYYY to expensive to purchase oem. 

front.JPG

rear.JPG

It was a 2 stage powder coat , not sure of the code#   Where you buy those Center caps? LMC? I always thought the front bearings were sealed so caps are just for looks.

2 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

It was a 2 stage powder coat , not sure of the code#   Where you buy those Center caps? LMC? I always thought the front bearings were sealed so caps are just for looks.

I'll get back to you on the Center cap detail. Gotta look it up, It's in my notes somewhere. 

Yes, you are right, the front bearings are sealed, but still that big void in there can trap dirt and water. I changed out my front wheel bearings a while back (They WOULD NOT come off. Had to cut them off of the spindle with a grinder cut-off wheel) While I was in there, noticed much dirt etc. 

I prefer the old school bearings personally, easy to maintain, clean and re-pack as necessary etc. When my bearings went bad, it was quite bizzare. I swear the noise was coming from the right front while I was turning left. It turned out the left side was bad!  But at least I got new wheel bearings. I Did the rear too. Good to go!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Blueox01 said:

Blueox01:  I got the stainless hub covers from Prime Industries, inc. They are located in Virginia. Basically they are wheel cover supplier at the top of the supply chain, they supply products to various ebay vendors etc. The stuff on ebay is way more expensive. (like double the cost!)  You can buy directly from prime industries. Dirt cheap. I paid like $17 each for the stainless hub covers shown on my wheels.   They also have the matching stainless full wheel covers but like you I just chose to use only the center hub covers because I like the powder coated gun metal look on our 7 hole steel dually wheels. 

You can call them and order directly & pay with credit card.  Here is a link to their pdf catalog:  http://www.prime-industries.com/Catalogs/auto-hardware2010.pdf  

The part numbers for the hub covers I got are:

Rear Hub Covers w/Adapter Ring: 58585-160GFD
Front Hub Covers w/Adapter Ring 58583-160GFD

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ironforger said:

Blueox01:  I got the stainless hub covers from Prime Industries, inc. They are located in Virginia. Basically they are wheel cover supplier at the top of the supply chain, they supply products to various ebay vendors etc. The stuff on ebay is way more expensive. (like double the cost!)  You can buy directly from prime industries. Dirt cheap. I paid like $17 each for the stainless hub covers shown on my wheels.   They also have the matching stainless full wheel covers but like you I just chose to use only the center hub covers because I like the powder coated gun metal look on our 7 hole steel dually wheels. 

You can call them and order directly & pay with credit card.  Here is a link to their pdf catalog:  http://www.prime-industries.com/Catalogs/auto-hardware2010.pdf  

You should add this as a write up in general Cummins. I have an article about brake lines I need to add.

6 hours ago, Stanley said:

I didnt see just the lug nut covers like yours? 

I have some 3rd gen 17" wheels that those might look good on. 

Found on E-Bay after a lot of looking 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/nut-covers-5-15-16-standard-style-flange-chrome-steel-1-3-8-tall-Peterbilt/202020372152?hash=item2f095a3eb8:g:6bUAAOSwdGpZkM5M:rk:9:pf:0 

On 1/11/2019 at 8:28 AM, Ironforger said:

Wish I could just find top hats to cover the axles, I like the look of the lug nut covers, back to researching.

Edited by Blueox01