• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need some opinions on setting wastegates

So the beast is up and running like never before! This truck is very lively now..but I need some direction. I have many years in tuning and building imports, both NA and turbo applications, but wrapping my mind around the best way to run a diesel is proving to be a challenge. 

Right now I’m running a pretty tight wastegate. I’m at or near max boost without wiretap. With the quad on level 0 it’s running about 30psi with the TC unlocked and about 35psi locked. On level 3 it’s about 33psi unlocked and 38psi locked. I’m limited to about 40-45psi with the K27, which builds boost so fast off idle it’s hard to tune for smoke...there is almost never any to tune off of!

So in your guys opinion, is it better to use the wastegate to set boost and limit fuel to keep from over boosting, or leave the wastegate loose and use fuel/wiretap to drive it to higher boost levels? Basically I’m smoke free at this point level 0-3 , just don’t know if there are any advantages to using fuel to drive wanted boost numbers or wastegate.

I'd say tuning is the way to go, that's how my truck is set up at the moment. My wastegate hose is plugged off. I also don't use my wiretap at the moment, not that I couldn't I just don't see a point. I'm reaching the limits of my Turbo with just tuning and 7x10 vco. Sure wiretap adds more power but I'm creating a lot more heat and only used it a handful of times to play around.

I was actually considering the k-27 turbo because if the 5 bolt flange for the turbo exhaust break mount.  I'm glad it's working out for you.

I tried playing with setting up the wastegate but couldn't get it just right with boost elbow, so I gave up. I like the idea of spring tension for wastegate control instead of boost actuator. I'm still thinking about setting that up as a backup in case tuning fails.

• Like 1

And that’s my question...does the extra fuel/heat create more horsepower or is it just extra “dyno power” for the big number on a piece of paper. At level 0 I can run at 100% throttle from 0-90+ mph at 35psi and never see over1050 degrees on the EGT gauge. At level 3, same test and barely get over 1100 degrees...it feels good, not doggy at all, and super smooth power delivery. On level 6 of 6(100% wiretap) the Quadzilla defuels due too excessive boost numbers, they will jump up to 50+psi pretty quickly then EGTs jump to 1300-1400 degrees real quick. I just am not sure if im missing out on a good time and more horsepower due to lack of tuning. 

By the way the K27 is a pretty sweet turbo! Gets the job done and will make a great small turbo in a compound setup someday!

• Like 1

I might have to give one of these a shot, or just order the in-cab controller that PDD makes. If I keep my wastegate like I have it now, I can’t utilize the wiretap portion of the Quad due to overboosting and the Quadzilla defueling at 45psi. Canbus alone gets me close to 40psi. I just need to play with it I guess. I’m amazed at how much air this little K27 can push and how there is no lag...it’s makes boost as fast or faster than the old HY. A puff of smoke and it’s clean almost immediately and never any more smoke or haze after that. 1-30psi in a instant! I think having a stock stall triple disc converter helps too!

21 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I guess that's what I meant to say, sorry for miss guiding. I just knew it was an option to use with my current exhaust brake. 

No problem, only reason I knew about it, is, I have been looking at them because of the direct mount e-brake. I have also been looking at this one, it does have the 5 bolt adapter and is also a stock type direct bolt in.  https://www.dieselautopower.com/s200gx-e-dodge-ram-upgrade-turbo-12769880001

Greg, it sounds like you are more than satisfied with the K27, that is good info to know. I don't know much about turbo's, so I read all the threads on them, so I only buy once. They both sound good for up to 400 hp, my max output.

• Like 2

I was between the K27 and the s200 as well...I ended up going with the K27 since it has the 360 thrust bearings and the s200 doesn’t. That’s why PDD went with the K27 over the s200 for its Towing Compound secondary turbo. They said the K27 was super robust and a very resilient little turbo. If you call those guys it’s amazing how many of the guys that work there run the K27, they all love them! I’m sure both would work very well for your application!

Edited by Greg Vance
Correct PDD

PDD is Power Driven Diesel. It’s a company out of Utah that I stumbled upon while getting ready to rebuild my truck. They sell a Ultimate Towing Compound kit that someday I would like to finish. It’s a K27 over a S369. They dynoed at 690hp and 1400+ftlbs all with zero lag. They have a YouTube video of the dyno run. They actually have a ton of good content on YouTube. 

As far as spool it’s completely different than my HY. It’s a little louder but a more tolerable tone, it’s a lower scream vs ear piercing like the little HY. And it follows the pedal man, barely touch the throttle and it starts coming to life! I love it!

Heres a quick video right after install.

Edited by Greg Vance
Correct spelling