• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Blue-Top vs Redhead steering gear

• 3 weeks later...

Long time lurker, first post. 

Has anyone considered the HD 6 bolt boxes? I've recently replaced my track bar, and upgraded to the 2010 linkage. While that helped tremendously, I can see the sector shaft deflect when turning, so a box will be my next upgrade. 

12 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I never put $700 in a steering box. Just ditch the monster wheels and tires and you'll do like @dripley and myself have for years pretty much trouble free steering. 

I appreciate the input from both of you. No monster tires here. I just have a habit of reading waaay to many reviews and then overthinking things. 

• Owner

265's and smaller tires are absolutely safe. With tires that are 265's and smaller, you can upgrade to a quick ratio steering box. My factory box had ZERO wear. It was the slat and rust that ruined the input seal of my steering box. Ryan @Blue-Top Steering said my box was still in excellent condition and was sold mere minutes later. Our boxes don't really wear out just need some rebuilding and seal replaced. Seal kits can be purchased from Blue Top Steering as well. 

12 minutes ago, Bojon said:

I appreciate the input from both of you. No monster tires here. I just have a habit of reading waaay to many reviews and then overthinking things. 

Thats a fairly common disease believe. I have my bouts with it.

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

265's and smaller tires are absolutely safe. With tires that are 265's and smaller, you can upgrade to a quick ratio steering box. My factory box had ZERO wear. It was the slat and rust that ruined the input seal of my steering box. Ryan @Blue-Top Steering said my box was still in excellent condition and was sold mere minutes later. Our boxes don't really wear out just need some rebuilding and seal replaced. Seal kits can be purchased from Blue Top Steering as well. 

I rebuilt a box for my Jeep some years ago, kind of a fun project. I'm not sure I'm comfortable rebuilding this one. Laying under the truck and rotating the steering shaft there is quite a bit of deflection in the sector shaft. I'd hate to see how bad the deflection actually is with the truck running. Something inside is quite worn, perhaps it just needs new bearings but I'm not sure. That being said it doesn't leak at all

I just had mind rebuilt by bluetop and it's awesome. Took out a ton of play in my steering. Now I'm sitting on a core if anyone needs one to send off and have rebuilt. I couldn't have any down time on my truck so i sourced a core and had it rebuilt and swapped it in

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Send your core in and left Blue Top to build it and then have a spare ready for next time or sell it. 

I thought about it, maybe in the future, just don't have the funds for it atm