• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

To CAC ot not CAC that is the question

I'm progressing on my streetrod build and am running into space constraints with where the engine sits relative to the 1950's body.  I know I CAN move the engine back with new engine and tranny mounts, but would prefer to not go that route.  I've already decided to use a different RAD with electric fans in place of the stock fan for space, but need more if I want to not move the power plant.  I've got 4" to work with.  So a few questions for the great minds than mine leaving the power plant in place and having room for the RAD and AC condenser up front where they belong:

1.  I could forego the stock CAC and do a liquid/air cooler and tuck that up under a fender.    

2.  Drop the CAC all together and just do a crossover tube.

Thoughts please?

Hmmm,

How hard are you going to push this truck and are you going to use it as a tow rig?  Are you going big on boost pressures or stock?

The reason I ask, if you are going to be easy on it, you won't be making much boost and therefore IAT shouldn't go too high.  The opposite is true if you are going to tow or really horse it.

You are just gonna have to think about it some.  If you do finally need to cool it, will you have good room to get your water sourced cooler in there somewhere?  I guess just start visualizing what you would have to do to get something in there later, and will it be easier then or now.  

A benefit of moving the motor back some, is you are moving the Cg back some which will help with steering (less weight on front wheels) and traction (more weight on rear wheels.)  but I am saying that without know the cowl to block clearance etc etc. 

just my $0.02

Hag

On 2/26/2019 at 6:51 AM, Dieselfuture said:

Extend the frame forward :think:

Actually had to cut the frame off to make things fit w/in the front clip of the 50's body.  I have to center the wheels on the fenders and that drives where things land.  Moving axles and such would be a little to invasive for my level of comfort for a daily driver.

Thanks for the inputs.  I'm leaning towards leaving the engine where it sits (simplifies a bunch: motor mounts, tanny x-member & mount, axle lengths, etc).  I don't plan on pushing him too hard, but I think just going a cross over tube route might just bite me later so I think I'll do a CAC of some sort just in case.  I've got room in the fenders to put something.

Edited by PilotHouse2500

• 2 weeks later...