• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dreaded White smoke.

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed your's and MossyOak71's research and application of replacing the valve seals.  I now lost that thread but hope to check mine out this weekend.  Just recovering from back surgery so my skills are limited until I am feeling better.  Thanks again.  BTW when I reply to a post, how do I reply and include the post I am responding to?

Edited by Nicarlov

22 minutes ago, Nicarlov said:

I really enjoyed your's and MossyOak71's research and application of replacing the valve seals.  I now lost that thread but hope to check mine out this weekend.  Just recovering from back surgery so my skills are limited until I am feeling better.  Thanks again.  BTW when I reply to a post, how do I reply and include the post I am responding to?

Hit the quote button below the post,

On 8/4/2019 at 10:34 AM, Dieselfuture said:

I went through it myself, not saying that's your problem. Turbos are not that common to fail imo. I guess anything is possible. Only one way to find out.

So I finally was able to look at the valve seals and you were correct.  The seals were tore up and squished.  What was the p/n of the top hat you used?  I contacted the head shop and they agreed to replace with either cummins top hat or the oness you used.

3 hours ago, Nicarlov said:

So I finally was able to look at the valve seals and you were correct.  The seals were tore up and squished.  What was the p/n of the top hat you used?  I contacted the head shop and they agreed to replace with either cummins top hat or the oness you used.

The ones I used are from 4liter Ford engine and need work to make them fit. If shop is saying they'll fix it then the right way of doing it would be removing head and machining valve guide to accept newer style VS-C59LV  top hat seals. If they will not remove the head then your options are, use same seals they did firs time and some adhesive to hold them in place or modify Ford seals   vs-292v  which is time consuming, but so far is working on my truck. 

49 minutes ago, Nicarlov said:

Thank you.  I will wait and see what they provide.  They want to go with a cummins top hat part number.  We'll see.

If they go with top hat they will need to remove the head and machine guides, not a hard job, just lots of labor. Unfortunately for me I found out about it too late myself and didn't want to remove the head, that's why I did all the research and found closest match with little work to make Ford seals fit. Not a perfect solution by any means but it still works. 

I did remove little coiled spring that puts constant tension around valve, I believe I explained in my thread why. You don't have, I did so not all oil gets wiped off, I wanted tiny amount to go down the valve and lube the guide.