• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Help!! No Boost or Power

CBond

Hey all. Im new here but have been on Cummins Forum and all that.  I took off my Edge Juice w/ Attitude and installed my quadzilla last night and was able to take for a spin today.  

Truck has no power going down freeway or anything, I can from 20% throttle to 100% and the truck will not move.  Struggles up hills and I have never seen the boost gauge move. I think I have a data log from drive home so I will attach it. I also threw a code but when I do the ignition check it is p1693.  The last thing is that my fuel pressure goes from 26 to 5 and anywhere in between no matter what. Also did this with the edge but it never turned out to be an issue and haven't got around to see if fass has any answers or not.

Would be great to fix this today somehow. Thanks for the help!

• Owner
7 minutes ago, CBond said:

Truck has no power going down freeway or anything, I can from 20% throttle to 100% and the truck will not move.  Struggles up hills and I have never seen the boost gauge move.

You might want to dive into the tune database...

https://mopar1973man.com/files/category/22-quadzilla-standard-tunes/

I need to know what size tires you have and what gear ratio in the axles...

7 minutes ago, CBond said:

The last thing is that my fuel pressure goes from 26 to 5 and anywhere in between no matter what.

Post a picture for your fuel pressure sensor. I want to see where its at and how it's set up. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You might want to dive into the tune database...

I downloaded a couple of tunes, ones that stated around my size injector and while it made a little difference switching between them, it still did not make the truck run as it did with the edge. Like the truck struggles to maintain 65 up a grade that I used to easily do on my normal drive. 

I need to know what size tires you have and what gear ratio in the axles...

I am running BFG KO2, 315/70/17 and I think my ratio is 3.54 if I remember.  I know it is not an ideal setup.  

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Post a picture for your fuel pressure sensor.

Here's some photos: 

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

• Owner

Not good. Your sensor is fried from the pulses from the VP44.

• No needle valve
  • No snubber
  • No distance from the tap point. 

Correct way. 

There is over 5 feet of 1/8 tubing from the tap point to the sensor.

iss-pro-fuel-pressure-sender.jpg.8786ebf

Needle valve for emergency shut off.

Snubber installed just after the needle valve to dampen pulses.

5 feet of tubing to allow the remaining pulses to fade out over travel of the distance. 

fuel-pressure-tap-point.jpg.1439b0459599

Edited by Mopar1973Man

8 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Not good. Your sensor is fried from the pulses from the VP44.

The bottom that threads in is a snubber that came with it from Power Driven Diesel.  So you're saying that I am out $70 for the sensor that came with it? 

Also any input with regards to lack of power even with the different tunes?

• Owner
1 minute ago, CBond said:

So you're saying that I am out $70 for the sensor that came with it? 

Yeah. the pulses ate the sensor. You need distance from the snubber to the sensor. 

Like having a loud speaker on one side of a wall and your head against the wall. The loud music will still damage your ear drum. Now move away from the wall a good distance now your hearing isn't damaged. Same thing here you need distance from the snubber (wall) to your ear (sensor).

5 minutes ago, CBond said:

Also any input with regards to lack of power even with the different tunes?

Wiretap good condition showing +12V with the key on engine off?

What size tires and gear ratio do you have?

11 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yeah. the pulses ate the sensor.

Well, that's poopy.  Would have been nice to know that from the get go... Shame to spend all this money and have it go to waste...

Regardless, its replaceable, any idea on lack of power? Would like to get my truck going well before the work week. 

• Owner

This is the number one cause of the pressure sensor failures for Quadzilla, Edge juice, and electric fuel pressure gauge. 

That is why I created this article long ago.

16 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Wiretap good condition showing +12V with the key on engine off?

What size tires and gear ratio do you have?

This is the number one cause of the pressure sensor failures for Quadzilla, Edge juice, and electric fuel pressure gauge. 

That is why I created this article long ago.

Oh alrighty.  I guess I will have to do this the next time around. That's a bummer it is not in the instructions or anything.  

• Owner

Gear ratio is all wrong you need 4.10 gears in the axles to make this work right.

image.png

Like I'm running 245/75 R16 tires with 3.55 gears. As you can see the ratio is much better and produces way more power! Optimal is 3.55 to 3.73 for highway use...

image.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Gear ratio is all wrong you need 4.10 gears in the axles to make this work right.

Yeah I know I am all messed up there but I went from making 30lbs of boost with my edge to 0lbs with the quadzilla. Just wondering if there is something in the software or wiring I need to check? I hear the turbo spool for a bit at lower rpms but then it never ramps up past a certain point. My data log also shows 0 boost recorded no matter what and thats with 100% throttle at some points.  

Is a re-gear hard?

• Owner
9 minutes ago, CBond said:

Just wondering if there is something in the software or wiring I need to check?

Upload your tune to this thread. I'll look at your settings. It would be nice if you capture a data log for @Me78569 to review also.

My data log also shows 0 boost recorded no matter what and thats with 100% throttle at some points.  

Are any error codes present? All wiring hooked up properly to the MAP sensor and Quadzilla? No damaged pins or wiring? Turbo in good condition? Wastegate not stuck open? Boost leaks?

Is a re-gear hard?

I know it's not cheap. When I figured out the tire to gear problem I got a local gent here in McCall, ID with 37-inch tires (3.00:1) and the same problem lacking power. It cost him a bit over $4,000 to have 3.55 gears removed and 4.10 gear installed. Massive power increase and MPG jumped back up to the high teens to low 20's. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

It would be nice if you capture a data log

Sorry I thought I put it a data log in here but I guess not. I'll add it this time. I was running default tunes, tried your economy tune and then a fun daily tune uploaded by @Me78569. All of them just didn't feel right. 

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

the same problem lacking power.

It just I didn't lack this power like this before the Quadzilla. Like I constantly downshift and a hill I normally shift into 3rd on leaving this house, I had to go into 2nd and barely make it up.  I know my gearing is a problem in general but I know something else must be wrong.

9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Are any error codes present?

P1693 if I remember correctly

10 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

All wiring hooked up properly to the MAP sensor and Quadzilla? No damaged pins or wiring?

I will go double check again but I thought I did it all right. 

11 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Turbo in good condition? Wastegate not stuck open? Boost leaks?

Turbo is good. Don't think wastegate is stuck.  I don't have a boost leak tester but ill check my boots I guess.

iQuad-2019-04-14-01.24.071943673184.csv

24 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

The edge defaults to 10 psi if the sensor is fubar I Believe

My boost was accurate before I thought, never really acted up. 

25 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

If you only ever see 0 psi then you either haven't hooked up the wiring right

I doubled check my wiring but I don't have po237 code for the map sensor.  

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

P0234, P0236, P0237 and P0238...

Would these show up with the key cycle method?

I replaced my map sensor with a Cummins one off Geno's Garage in July 2018.

26 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No. Only 2002 will work for the key method. 2001 only shows the PCM.

Gotcha. I'll have to go get codes scanned then. 

26 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Doesn't mean that it's still good. 

Be a shame to have it go bad so fast.  Would changing tuner really cause an issue like that?

Just frustrated at this point.  :(  Thanks for trying to help at least.  I'm not the best at this stuff.