• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ECM Interchange

Currently having issues with my ECM. My ECM is a 3947912.

Running a spare from an 01 Ram 2500 Auto with p/n 3946242. Works but no oil pressure gauge.

I just came across an ecm from an 01 Ram 2500 H.O. manual with p/n 3947912, same as mine.

I always thought as long as the id number was the same everything was good. But will a manual ecm be fine on an auto?

Edited by gipperkid

If you can buy or get ahold of a Smarty so3 , and call the guys at Smarty they can send you , e-mail the files for any year - model , I think they do charge for them now .

From your computer you load the files into the so3 using an ethernet cable , then into the truck via the obd port  . All ecms work all trucks , but newer years are better for older trucks.

Once you have the file available for your year on your computer , it costs you little to try all the ecms you can get .

ACS said my truck had a short too ,could be ac rip from alternator , or just their "excuse"

They do have to disclaimer the fact that all issues w/truck need to be addressed before installing a remanded ecm , but it leaves you with a lot of work or an uneasy feeling when like you say when their work could have failed

They say they test the ecm after they repair , I`d like to know how after repair I got mine back and it was the exact same as when I sent it to them , I believe they did the repair as it had silicone sealing it , but I don't think they "tested" it

Yours they say  the flash file chip was replaced, mine they didn't and I think that might be the issue with mine , for the money I think they have a policy that only so much work is done before they claim unrepairable or your truck is the issue , I get work for dollar , but they should just be more up front about it

• Like 1

My brother and I swapped ECMs troubleshooting his VP issue.  (our trucks are very similar in year model, both '01.5,  but are otherwise completely different.  his is a top of the line 2wd automatic, mine is a base model 4wd manual.)

Mine is a 5speed and his Auto.  The only thing I noticed during the swap, the Auto ECM does not have the same stall prevention programming that my manual has.   So my 5 speed ECM in his Auto truck made no difference.  His Auto ECM in my 5 speed prevented me from selecting a gear and letting out the clutch and the stall prevention didn't try to maintain idle speed.  

HTH

Hag

The cruise control would make difference I would think, the late 01's and 02"s are fly by wire and not mechanical like the earlier years.

Seems some folks have issues while others dont.:shrug:

Edited by dripley