• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Should I bite the bullet?

I love my current truck but I found this one on craigslist and it's almost the same truck but 10 years newer and half the milage. My question for everyone here that's owned a 2nd gen and a 4th gen, would it be worth it to get rid of old faithful (and a lot of money) for this newer truck? Like I said I love my current truck, it pulls like a dump truck and sounds like one too, but I've driven my dad's 14 and I know how nice it is, especially towing. I've never considered upgrading in the past because I never thought I could find a truck that I could afford and spec'd out exactly like I want it. This isn't any sort of final decision, I haven't even seen the truck in person yet, but I just want some external opinions on whether I should kill this dream or make it more than a dream.

Also sorry if this is in the wrong place, I haven't been here in so long I'm pretty much a newb again.

• Staff

Only thing I can say is it's right at the mileage where it needs new injectors. Because of the Common rail fuel system with electronic injectors , it is multi times more likely to wash a piston and cause a complete engine rebuild, than a more reliable mechanical injection system. A set of injectors for that newer common rail are up to ten times the cost of a second gen. This information is from Mopar1973Man. He has educated a lot of us each morning over coffee :smart:.  

Personally, I like seeing just how long my second will hold to taking care of me, help me save money.

Edited by JAG1

6.7 injectors are not the same old finicky common rail injectors that the 5.9 uses and I never hear of people having problems with them, even with twice the mileage. As a guy that had a 4th gen (2012) and several 2nd gens, the 4th gen is leaps and bounds above our old trucks and even 3rd gen's too. Interior, ride and power are all really nice and if it wasnt for my hatred of big truck payments, I would probably still have mine. That being said, I really love these old 2nd gen trucks for the style and simplicity. If you end up getting it, keep your 02 also, just to ake sure you still hapy with the 12 a year from now.

• Like 1

• Owner
17 minutes ago, 98whitelightnin said:

6.7 injectors are not the same old finicky common rail injectors that the 5.9 uses and I never hear of people having problems with them, even with twice the mileage.

Might want to tell to the 2012 owner in my yard. Then the 3 others in town with the grid heater light on. 

DSCF4615.JPG

• Thanks 1

Huh, I hadn't heard of any injector problems. My dad's 14 has about 100k on it and one of the company rigs has about 140k, neither of them are showing any signs of a bad injector, yet. Is there something a guy can do to extend the life of the injectors? Some simple fix like a $200 lift pump saving a $1200 injection pump, or do they just wear out and there isn't anything you can do about it.

4 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Personally, I like seeing just how long my second will hold to taking care of me, help me save money.

I get where you're coming from with that, but at the same time maintaining a 2nd gen can be a spendy endeavor too. I'd almost rather spend a little more money and end up with a much nicer newer truck with a chassis designed in 2010 not 1994. And other creature comforts like built in bluetooth, nav, a back seat that can accommodate a full size adult and most importantly, a heated steering wheel.

• Staff

The problem is the common rail fuel system always putting full constant fuel pressure to both sides of the injectors' electronic solenoid otherwise it would not be able to open. When one fails it dumps much larger amounts of fuel into the cylinder with a far greater chance of ruining the engine. That is why it is so important to change them at 100 k. 

My whole reason for keeping both my second gens is I love having larger amounts going into savings. Yes I did have an old 12 valve for 22 yrs. It got to a point it was time for it to go. It was a daily work truck the whole time and saved me quite a bit of money. In the end it still wasn't costing as much like a newer truck would. But the people I paid to do some of the major items weren't right and that killed it for me.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner
2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Mopar1973 Man, what do you mean 'with the grid heater light on' is that an indication of a problem? 

Thank you.

When the grid heater light remain on the ECM detected excessive return flow from the injectors and this is a sign of injector failure is currently happening. 

1 hour ago, NorthernDodge said:

Is there something a guy can do to extend the life of the injectors?

Double filter your fuel does help a bunch. So having a another filter before the stock filter will aid in extending the life of injectors.

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

When one fails it dumps much larger amounts of fuel into the cylinder with a far greater chance of ruining the engine.

When injectors fail typically its the solenoid side and the fuel pressure can't be held good enough and bleed out the return rail. This allows for the pintle to remain open longer than it should or all the time washing the cylinder walls. 

1 hour ago, NorthernDodge said:

do they just wear out and there isn't anything you can do about it.

Typically they wear out right around 100k to 150k miles. Yeah I've seen people still driving past that but typically now the injector(s) are hanging open and washing the piston rings out. This why the engines typically have excessive blowby by about 300k miles and require rebuilding. Just because its still starting and running good doesn't mean the injectors are working properly. 

Best suggestion is to at least pull the injections and send them into DAP and they can bench test all them and tell you which ones have failed or going to fail soon. 

• Staff

Interesting. I’ve only ever heard of the WTS light and leak detection P1222/P1223 being active on the 5.9’s. The CEL hasn’t been in any 6.7L CEL list I’ve seen. 

6.7 injectors are much better, and 6.7 tuning is easier on the injectors with much lower cruise pressure. Peak pressure is higher, but average pressure is lower. 

OEM filtration for the 6.7 is also a big improvement, especially 13+. But don’t be duped by cheaper than OEM filters, as I haven’t found any yet with adequate filtration relative to OEM. I’m still researching them thou. 

I’ll add that the 07.5-12 trucks, pre DEF/SCR, are much more problematic with regards to turbo life and emissions equipment issues. That’s assuming all the emissions gear is installed. 

Edited by AH64ID

So if I did buy the truck I should plan on some new injectors, a secondary fuel filter, and possibly deleting it at some point in the future. Is there any difference between the emissions equipment on 07.5-09 and 10-12 trucks? I ask because I know someone who owned an 08 and had nothing but trouble, but my the 12 company truck that I mentioned before has never had any issues.

• Staff

The ‘12 should have the upgraded single fuel filter. It would be very easy to add a BF1212 to the system pre-OE filter. 

The 07.5-12 trucks have the same hardware, but tuning got better over time. They are still more problematic than 13+. They are better the harder you work them. 

Yes, injectors should be in the back of your mind but there are often signs of impending failure. 

Depending on where you live deleting is a good option. 

How many hours on it?