• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Headlights

I'm broke right now but may try them soonish. 

I was looking at the led bulbs to but would be afraid the ice over running in the snow.

I'll for sure report when I do. Get them they appear to be plug n play but will need a relay added to run all four when on bright.

Cost would be up about 100 for a set of 4 decent bulbs

1 bulb lights high and low other bulb lights high only in factory sport wiring if I'm not mistaken. Don't remember which bulb does what for sure but i THINK 9007 only lights in high.

I was wrong. 9004 only lights in high. See post below.

Edited by Gregturley
Correction

Have to check but think 9007 are outer bulbs light up low and high. 

9004 are inner bulbs and do not light in low only high so 9007 and 9004 light in high.

Low-9007- outer bulb- low element lit

High-9007 and 9004-inner and outer bulbs- both high elements lit

9004-inner bulb-low element not used

It has been a while since i worked on a sport set up. I'll try to find a wiring diagram later to double check.

Screenshot_2019-09-21-22-06-59.png

Screenshot_2019-09-21-22-05-02.png

Screenshot_2019-09-21-22-04-49.png

Screenshot_2019-09-21-22-04-37.png

Edited by Gregturley
Correction and pics

• Owner

I made a 2 relay set up, Both lo's and hi's worked. Just the pattern sucked. You'll find the aux beam does nothing really but make a narrow vertical column of light. The main lights the 9007 do the most work. Even in factory set up for just hi beams on the aux light is still poor. 

Basically build your relay for the drivers side then just across and and feed the passenger side.

On 9/22/2019 at 9:37 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

I made a 2 relay set up, Both lo's and hi's worked. Just the pattern sucked. You'll find the aux beam does nothing really but make a narrow vertical column of light. The main lights the 9007 do the most work. Even in factory set up for just hi beams on the aux light is still poor. 

Basically build your relay for the drivers side then just across and and feed the passenger side.

This works BUT if something happens to DS lens/bulbs/wiring/fuse whatever you will lose both side headlamps. Better to wire each side independent in my opinion. For my initial tests i only did 2 relays. When i decided to keep the relay setup i cut out the cross over wiring and made another relay pigtail for the other side. 4 relays each side independent. Get stuck in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, with your wife and 3 kids in your POS and no headlamps and you will realize how important redundancy is. I can fix ANYTHING on a car, but doing it on the side of a 70mph zone with everything i care about in it aint happening again if i can prevent it.

• Owner
10 hours ago, Gregturley said:

This works BUT if something happens to DS lens/bulbs/wiring/fuse whatever you will lose both side headlamps. Better to wire each side independent in my opinion.

Can't wired separate. There is only one bulb filament. The hi / lo is control by a shutter. There is a ballast for each side but the shutter is controlled by one relay. The power is only supplied by one one fuse. The kit comes all loomed out. This is why I have the driving lights. Still a fallback lighting system as well.

10 hours ago, Gregturley said:

Get stuck in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, with your wife and 3 kids in your POS and no headlamps and you will realize how important redundancy is.

Which has NEVER happened. 394k miles and ticking never had a massive lighting failure to this day. Again the driving light are separated from the headlights and there is my redundancy in my lighting. I've not even had a ballast fail yet or a bulb to burn out. Very low current draw. only 35w per light. The driving lights are 18w per light but are ~1,000 lumens brighter than the HID's.  PIAA LED are a 6k bulb at about 4,000 lumens. The Morimoto HIDs are 5k bulb and about 3,000 lumens. Standard halogen bulb is 700 and 1,200 lumen (45w / 60w). 

Oh... I'm no dummy... I've got a pack of fuses in the truck. Mini's and standard size.

Now that is lighting. Lo beams, driving light plus the switchback bulbs. DSCF4631.JPG 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1