• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Headlights

I polished the stock headlight lenses when i first got the truck. That helped some but the headlights still sucked. I added some led cube fog lights from Amazon and aimed them low and angled out. This really helped with night driving by lighting up the side of the road. I made sure they wouldn't blind oncoming traffic and haven't had anyone flash me. Last week i got some Hella 100/80 watt bulbs and wired up relays. This completely changed visibility at night. Before i NEEDED the leds at night. Now i can barely tell if they are on or off. Haven't had anyone flash me yet but only driven it 10 times going to work. Before anyone tells me how much better the Morimoto upgrade is or swap to sport lenses they're not in the budget now. I spent $20 on this upgrade, the cost of the bulbs and bulb sockets. I have relays, bases, wire, etc in the garage so i didn't have to buy anything like that but if i did it probably would have been another $30 or so. The reason for this post: If you're broke and desperate for improved light its cheap and easy to do and it did improve my visibility. I put off doing it because i kept reading it wasn't worth the effort. If anyone needs info on wiring the relays and sockets let me know. 

• Like 2

I just installed the same bulbs in my truck last weekend with some aftermarket housings.  I agree they aren't as good as the Mishimoto setup but they are far better than the stock setup.  I have a 30 minute drive to work in the dark every morning so I'll find out how long they last.  At least the bulbs are cheap, about $15 for the pair shipped from Rock Auto.  I may order another set as backup if longevity is a concern. 

@IBMobile I did the relays trying to get all the voltage i could to the bulb. Wired the sides independent for safety. If a relay fails, factory fuse pops, wreck, whatever i hopefully won't lose both sides. Factory fused left and right separately for that reason. After hitting a deer in the middle of nowhere Florida a few years ago in the wifes van and losing ALL exterior lighting over minor DF corner damage i figured it was smart. Spent 30 minutes on side of road at 2am chasing smashed wiring to get lights working really sucked.

@98whitelightnin guess i need to watch Rock Auto for spare bulbs. Thats cheap.

• Staff

I have the non-sport head lights, one blub per side, and drive with just the low beams and factory driving lights on.  I find that with the high beams on there isn't a good side of the road illumination.  I read that the 9007 and 9107 gives a better light beam due to the filament orientation is placed 90° to that of the 9004 and 9104 blub but are used only in the sport headlamp assemblies.   The next time I go to the wreaking yard I'll pull the wires for the 9007/9107 blubs and give them a try.      

• Staff

Right now, about 20 miles from here, there are 8 Ram 1500 in the wreaking yard but it's rare to find a 2500/3500 there.  A lot of the parts from the 1500 will work on the 2500/3500 models.  You can always find a nice after market trans cooler or part you can use off of a Ford, Chevy, or Volvo that you can adapt for something. 

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/locations/LKQ_Pick_Your_Part_-_Oceanside-286/recents/

On 9/15/2019 at 5:45 AM, IBMobile said:

I've been using the same 9104 blubs (80/100w) with stock wire harness and no relays for the past 15years and have had 0 problems.

good to know.  I remember thinking about going this route and decided not to due to the rated lifespan being ~%50 of the 9004