• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stuck thermostat?

Manimalmother

• Owner

Yeah I know I've changed a few of those and they are a PITA to do. Deleted truck are like the old school days for sure. Free revving the engine is not a valid test. The timing is too retard for a free revving event. You have to drive the truck to test.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

28 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Last Gates 200*F I bought didn't last 1 week. Very wild up and down swings in temperature. Down as low as 168*F and the way up to 220*F on open.

That's very strange. I had a couple Stant thermostats that were pretty wild. Never gates though. I'm running a gates 180 right now and it's smooth as hell even below -25°c ambient temp. Even initial opening is a less than +/- 10°F swing. When stabilized, less than +/- 5°F swing.

• Like 1

• Owner

Yeah I want to try the 200*F thermostat. NAPA doesn't stock any 200*F thermostats. I jumped on RockAuto and spotted the Gates thinking great name to buy. Week later I was pulling it out because of wild temperature swings and install a 190*F NAPA. Back to the 192-194*F solid temperature. 

Still want to try a 200*F but not sure where to buy it. Nope don't say Cummins or Mopar. Not happening... I don't want the crappy fall apart Robertshaw design.

Even NAPA has two series for the 1996 Dodge. The 192 and the 195*F for the V8 gas engines. Rock solid temperature right at 195 to 197*F. Too small for the Cummins. 

35 minutes ago, 98whitelightnin said:

Mike, im almost positive a 6.7 thermostat is the same size as your truck. My 2012 came factory with a 200 and rock auto has stant for under $9

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ram,2012,2500,6.7l+l6+diesel+turbocharged,1502371,cooling+system,thermostat,2200

Yep, I'll second that, I've used a factory 200° stat for a 6.7 in my truck before. 

• Owner
On 1/20/2020 at 8:58 AM, 98whitelightnin said:

Mike, im almost positive a 6.7 thermostat is the same size as your truck. My 2012 came factory with a 200 and rock auto has stant for under $9

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ram,2012,2500,6.7l+l6+diesel+turbocharged,1502371,cooling+system,thermostat,2200

I did the Gates 34212 on that listing thinking Gates was a good quality T stat. Mine failed the in the first week.

Went back to Napa... Haven't tried again since. Money is tight and time is even tighter.

4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No true. Cummins does NOT manufacture any thermostats.

It was a Cummins box. I'm not sure who the MFG was. But the Mopar label was over the Cummins label. I wish I bought two at the time Mike. I would have gladly sent you an extra one.

• Owner

After doing my research Cummins or Mopar has never manufactured thermostats. Cummins has changed at least 4 to 5 times different manufacture they sell. Then digging to the manufacture of the actual thermostats you find out that Cummins used companies like Motorrad, Mr. Gasket, Robertshaw, etc. Funny how everyone claims that Cummins or Mopar Thermostat is better but NO ONE has even checked on who manufacturing said thermostat. As for specs the only spec is the temperature. Being that opening size and volume restriction has changed every time they changed companies. I've replace a few stock thermostats for people and always shocked at all the different designs...

Now for my 200*F like I said was a Gates. It only lasted 1 week or so. I think I've chucked it out already.

Edited by Mopar1973Man