• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

over 2000 rpms sometimes lose of power , no pedal response

hey guys i have a 1999 dodge 2500 24 valve , at times if your are in the throttle above 2000 rpms the engine just cuts power then u have no pedal response even if you push it all the way down , but how ever if u let up for a split second the power comes back like nothing has happened at all. i do have the code p1693 in the computer i have not tried clearing the code yet . if any one can point me in the right direction please let me know thank you.

23 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Why does Diesel future get all the fun? he leaves nothin' for anyone else to add to the thread.

Except what is your fuel pressure when this happens? :thumb1:

I usually wait a while, if no one is talking I put in my :2cents: to get the ball rolling. Sorry Jag1 didn't mean to take your fun away. At first I thought you left a sad face by mistake but then realized you had to go passed confused face to get to like, guess it wasn't a mistake unless you had few too many beers and thought you were hitting the like button :whistle2:

• Haha 1

• Staff
35 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I usually wait a while, if no one is talking I put in my :2cents: to get the ball rolling. Sorry Jag1 didn't mean to take your fun away. At first I thought you left a sad face by mistake but then realized you had to go passed confused face to get to like, guess it wasn't a mistake unless you had few too many beers and thought you were hitting the like button :whistle2:

Glad you jumped in the fun.... way too short of that now a days  :thumb1: 

I hope he posts up his fuel pressure.

• Like 1

That is most likely the problem. Some here have made for a while with that code. Mine acted up right before Thanksgiving and spit that code. After clearing it it settled down and the following Sunday it crapped the bed completely and I had to replace it.

• Like 1

• Staff

I drove long distances with that code doing two trips a year for about two years. I used 2 stroke oil in the fuel to help keep the timing piston lubed. I guess it helped, but also carried with me all the tools and a new/ rebuilt injection pump with me.

22 minutes ago, kamododragon122 said:

i was checking for codes with a snap on scanner i am a technician i cleared all codes then went for a ride , and i have another code p0216 injection pump timing failure

Low fuel pressures will cause that. You have to stay above 14 all the time. helps to run 2 stroke.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 10:50 AM, dripley said:

I would add how are checking for codes. The 1693 is not a fault. It us just telling of another code in the other computer. The key trick only gets one computer on a 99.

yah i went into the other modules in the computer and found a low voltage code in the transmission computer . cleared that then took it to the store same conditions happen but this time i have the p0216  injection pump timing failure

On 2/8/2020 at 10:16 AM, Dieselfuture said:

Probably apps, get a timbo. Check all grounds, do WT mod, pcm protection mod, check ac noise. 

what is the WT and pcm protection mod like what do you have to do for this ? and how would you check for the ac noise with a scope ? i reallie don't know diesel too well .

2 hours ago, kamododragon122 said:

yah i went into the other modules in the computer and found a low voltage code in the transmission computer . cleared that then took it to the store same conditions happen but this time i have the p0216  injection pump timing failure

The 216 is the code I was speaking of. It is a mechanical failure of the timing piston inside the pump. You have symptoms that you describe in the title of the thread and the code. The VP is dying.

2 hours ago, kamododragon122 said:

what is the WT and pcm protection mod like what do you have to do for this ? and how would you check for the ac noise with a scope ? i reallie don't know diesel too well .

I cant link the articles on my tablet. But they are in the articles section under 2nd gen 24v, engine, electrical then scroll the pages. You can check the ac voltage with a good DVM set on AC voltage. Test at the charge stud on the alternator. You want to see .050 or less. My volt meter is auto and will read in milliamps if yours has the setting use it. As far as a scope, thats over my electrically challenged brain. Excess ac voltage can fry the computer on the VP but your failire is mechanical. This could be from low fuel pressure as @JAG1 mentions. 

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

We will have to show you about proper fuel pressure and flow when the pedal is to the metal and still stay above 14 psi. You do not want to run a new rebuilt VP without setting up your truck correctly as we all have and gotten good results. I run 2 stroke all the time because I never know when what's at the pump isn't biofuel and these VPs were designed for higher lubricity fuels available prior to the ULSD.

• Like 1