• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

04 Cummins crank but no start

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and forums in general.

I have a 2004 Cummins that will crank but not start. This problem started many months ago with crank times getting longer and grid light coming on while driving. Finally it wouldn't start at all. Took it to mechanic and he replaced all 6 injectors with new bosch. He also replaced injector orings, supply tubes, FCA, and air temp sensor. I got the truck back and it drove fine for a couple of weeks and then wouldn't start. Took it back and he replaced an injector line that didnt seal properly and the starter. He claimed starter was not spinning fast enough.

After work the next day it took about 5 10 second cranks for it to fire. Ran fine on the hour trip home. The next day no start again. 

It is throwing these codes, 0193 0113 0237 0069. 

I sprayed a little ether on Inside of air box lid and it still won't start. Please help! TIA!

Also I can hear the lift pump and fuel pours out of water separator when open and pump buzzing. I also took an injector line off and cranked but only a little fuel came out. (Not sure if it's supposed to be more)

The tach reads about 200 rpm while cranking. 

Edited by 04cummins5.9
More info

I can't help you with diagnosing your "no start" situation, but I do want to caution you on using ether to start the engine.  Two very important things - the first is the most important:

1.  The Cummins engine is equipped with two 100 amp intake manifold heaters. They ABSOLUTELY must be disconnected before using ether.

2.  The ether should be introduced directly into the intake manifold while the engine is being cranked.  Spraying either into an air filter housing makes for a long journey - the ether must travel through the air intake hose, the turbocharger, the inlet hose to the charge air cooler (CAC), the CAC itself, the exit hose from the CAC, and finally through the intake manifold to get to a cylinder.  During its journey the ether will condense or pool up and if the engine did by chance start running, the collected either would suddenly be drawn into the cylinders with no control.  Engine damage could occur and you could get seriously hurt.

I only  mention this because you may not be aware of the hazards.

I think in your case your mechanic should be honoring his mis-diagnosis since his recommendations and repairs have not fixed the original problem.  Just be patient and work though it. I do know these common rail engines can be very hard to diagnose.

I am sure you will be hearing from others shortly with experience in common rail fuel systems.

- John

Edited by Tractorman
I thought of something else.