Jump to content
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We can see you lurking about Mopar1973Man.Com reading articles and reading other member's posts. Are you trying to solve a problem with your Dodge / Ram Turbo Diesel Cummins? We have lots of helpful members and staff on the Mopar1973Man.Com and are willing to give guidance on how to fix or improve your truck. You know when you see good valued information here on Mopar1973Man.Com. We are not corporate owned like many of the other websites out there. Like Cummins Forum (VerticalScope Inc.). Mopar1973Man.Com is entirely privately owned and operated since 2004. Your subscription funds goes towards server maintenance and software maintenance. We happen to be one of the most friendliest and helpful websites for Cummins Owners in the world. Come join us and register and then pick a subscription plan

     

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The delete has to stay. There is a hole in the block behind it.    I ran two pumps on mine many years back. If the fass is responding to the key on and starter bump the in tank pump might no

That might explain it then. Fass and AD are basically the same kind of pump. If I was getting one I would get one with filter head built into it for what the hpfp costs.   Now in the FWIW co

Cleared up the noise issue at least... 

Posted Images

i'm pretty certain that my lift pump is drawing through an in tank pump. The pump is dead. The wire are plugged into it and I traced it up under the hood and they are bundled in two wire looms and ther is a red wire that splits and is plugged into a relay. I guess this is the fuel pump start relay. I unplugged the Fass pump and Key on. No Noise. Bump starter. No noise. So Pump in tank, I'm guessing must be dead. The Old factory lift pump "block delete" is still attached but the lines that ran through it are unhooked. The Fass draws from the outlet of the in-tank pump and the return is still hooked into the intank pump. It looks like I will need to rework this set up before I keep trouble shooting my "driveability" problem. Thanks for leading me down the right paths.

2 minutes ago, InGear said:
5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Shoot... Ask away...

 

I guess I need a draw tube set up. I'm not that hip on the lift pump set up.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
5 minutes ago, InGear said:

i'm pretty certain that my lift pump is drawing through an in tank pump. The pump is dead. The wire are plugged into it and I traced it up under the hood and they are bundled in two wire looms and ther is a red wire that splits and is plugged into a relay. I guess this is the fuel pump start relay.

 

You'll need to either install a draw straw... I would suggest a AirDog 150 or similar or mechanical pump. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

 

You'll need to either install a draw straw... I would suggest a AirDog 150 or similar or mechanical pump. 

Will I have to drop the tank to install the draw straw and is the airdog with the water separator and filter all in one housing the better set up? Could I remove the pump delete and the factory filter housing if I use that set up? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator

Don't delete the factory filter. KEEP IT! I run both 3 micron filter on the AirDog 150 but a 7 micron filter in the stock filter. I found out that even the 3 micron filter on the AirDog is passing dirt on to the stock filter and the 7 micron is catching. 

 

Yes you have to drop the tank for installing the straw...

 

Stock 7 micron, and the AirDog 150 3 micron cut open...

Image result for mopar1973man fuel filter

Edited by Mopar1973Man
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Don't delete the factory filter. KEEP IT! I run both 3 micron filter on the AirDog 150 but a 7 micron filter in the stock filter. I found out that even the 3 micron filter on the AirDog is passing dirt on to the stock filter and the 7 micron is catching. 

 

Yes you have to drop the tank for installing the straw...

 

Stock 7 micron, and the AirDog 150 3 micron cut open...

Image result for mopar1973man fuel filter

Thanks. Can the pump delete thing on the side of block go away? I'm a retired plumber. I can plumb anything. Just now getting familiar with the Cummins. It has run strong until this bucking thing showed up. even with the VP44 death code set, it ran great for almost two years. I will be shopping now. Thanks again mopar1973man

Link to post
Share on other sites

The delete has to stay. There is a hole in the block behind it. 

 

I ran two pumps on mine many years back. If the fass is responding to the key on and starter bump the in tank pump might not be connected to the ecm. Someone would have to have spliced into the OE pump harness to make both pumps respond. I guess thats possible but dont really know. The second pump I ran was operated by an oil pressure switch and did not respond to the key on and stater bump, it was independent of the ECM control.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dripley said:

The delete has to stay. There is a hole in the block behind it. 

 

I ran two pumps on mine many years back. If the fass is responding to the key on and starter bump the in tank pump might not be connected to the ecm. Someone would have to have spliced into the OE pump harness to make both pumps respond. I guess thats possible but dont really know. The second pump I ran was operated by an oil pressure switch and did not respond to the key on and stater bump, it was independent of the ECJ control.

The second pump being the in-tank pump? There does look like a splice connector in some wiring that plugs into  a sensor that is in the block on the drivers side near the delete. would the pump run when the oil pressure came up? That splice connector may be for the edge attitude

Link to post
Share on other sites

My second was one I added when the intank pump was getting weak and it ran off of the oil pressure switch. That pump only ran after the engine started and built oil pressure the intank pump ran off of the ecm.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dripley said:

My second was one I added when the intank pump was getting weak and it ran off of the oil pressure switch. That pump only ran after the engine started and built oil pressure the intank pump ran off of the ecm.

539.jpg

This keeps popping up in my ad feed at the top of page. it doesn't look like the one in Mopar1973Mans pictures of his airdog install

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I found out that even the 3 micron filter on the AirDog is passing dirt on to the stock filter and the 7 micron is catching

This tells me that ether airdog filter quality is not as good as the hipe or something else happen where debris got by the 3 micron filter to be cut by a 7 micron. Jmo

45 minutes ago, dripley said:

The delete has to stay. There is a hole in the block behind it

I cut my bracket off and left the block off plate on the block, probably could have bought a separate block off plate instead of murdering the original one but I didn't care at the time

Link to post
Share on other sites

Air Dog makes a kit to replace the in tank pump. My 165 came with one back 9 years ago. It was only a 3/8" pick up and thats most likely why I see a 3 to 4 psi drop at WOT. But I still only see 15 to 16 psi for a low pressure so I dont worry about it. It also has both the pump and engine return lines in the basket with the pick up. Some folks think its a bad idea but I have not noticed any difference in how the trucks after the install.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
19 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

This tells me that ether airdog filter quality is not as good as the hipe or something else happen where debris got by the 3 micron filter to be cut by a 7 micron. Jmo

 

Doesn't matter... I've tried Donaldson 3um, Fleetguard 3um, AirDog 3um filters all them pass dirt. The 7um in the stock always has some dirt in it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

 

Doesn't matter... I've tried Donaldson 3um, Fleetguard 3um, AirDog 3um filters all them pass dirt. The 7um in the stock always has some dirt in it.

I offer wonder if new filters have garbage inside that gets flushed out. It's really sad when you open a filter box and first thing you do by default is to blow inside :lmao: I like donaldson as they have plastic on them, few others do that too. I was at Walmart and out of curiosity open daily few different brand of filter boxes, even like expensive k&n had crappy inside, truly sad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, InGear said:

539.jpg

This keeps popping up in my ad feed at the top of page. it doesn't look like the one in Mopar1973Mans pictures of his airdog install

 

Look for  “Vulcan Performance Draw straw 5”. Vulcan is an advertiser on this site. It will replace in-tank pump. Either need to tilt bed or remove tank to install. If you look in articles section I believe there is an article with photos of the install. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

Look for  “Vulcan Performance Draw straw 5”. Vulcan is an advertiser on this site. It will replace in-tank pump. Either need to tilt bed or remove tank to install. If you look in articles section I believe there is an article with photos of the install. 

Thanks Royal Squire. I Found the straw and pump for a good value. Should arrive to me next week so it gives me time to wrap my brain around the process of removing the tank and I can pump it down into some 5gal. containers as it is full.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, InGear said:

Thanks Royal Squire. I Found the straw and pump for a good value. Should arrive to me next week so it gives me time to wrap my brain around the process of removing the tank and I can pump it down into some 5gal. containers as it is full.

Your old pump might pump it out. Worth a try. Or just tilt the bed up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dripley said:

Your old pump might pump it out. Worth a try. Or just tilt the bed up. 

Take all the bolts loose, drop some long bolts through the passenger side to keep the bed from sliding off then tilt and support the bed, Pull out the fuel pump/sender and modify w/Draw straw?  Otherwise with out  a post lift, I would need to jack up the rear to clear the high rear part of the tank and accommodate the jack and what ever I would use to support the tank, which I'm guessing I would need to lift it about 10" minimum.  I'LL spray down the bolts tomorrow. Snowing here at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...