• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

struggling to build boost

My 24 valve seems to be struggling to build boost,  I have an edge cs2, easy edge (position 1 -2 - 3) tuner and I cant get over 17psi on the gauge and only getting 800-900 degrees on my egt.  It runs and drives just fine but I just don't have the power i should.  I have a fass lift pump and it is at 12- 18 psi. It is a 5 speed and I cant hold 60 mph going up hills with a 2K pound trailer,  I have checked all the intake boots and the turbo is tight?  Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks  KtmKarl 

the waste gate moves freely, forgot to add to question.

What injectors do you have? Stock, or something bigger? Without any leaks, I would think you should be able to hit at least 27 PSI with stock injectors. The other thing that comes to mind, is how many miles do you have on them? One of the biggest things I've learned is it takes fuel to make boost.

Mark

140K, stock injectors w/o any leaks.  It has been like this since i bought the truck, finally put in a boost gauge with talking to people i now realize what power I should have.

I had a bolt clamped in the line and it did not make any difference.  So does the egts tell you I need more fuel?  In warm weather it "roles coal" in 2nd and third gear on my #3 tune?  I am relatively new to the diesel world.  Thanks for your help.

• Owner
11 hours ago, KtmKarl said:

140K, stock injectors w/o any leaks

Stock injectors are near end of life for sure. Mine lasted to 150k but the pop pressure was 260 bar where the minimum is 293 bar.

11 hours ago, KtmKarl said:

In warm weather it "roles coal" in 2nd and third gear on my #3 tune? 

Timing is off. When tuned correctly there is no smoke. Since Edge products do not allow for timing adjustments and your injectors are worn out most likely this is why you not building good power. Smoke is a sign fuel is too much and timing is off most likely retarded. I would suggest having your injectors pop tested and/or replaced. Another way to check is hook up a live data tool. Watch the engine load if it near zero or at zero but never cannot idle down to 800 RPM then the injectors are shot. 

I ran a Edge Comp for over 10 years they are a good tuner for only stock and RV275 injectors once I stepped up to +50 HP the timing was off and black smoke all the time, very difficult to control the smoke. Once I swapped over to Quadzilla Adrenaline the problems all stopped. Very little to zero smoke and currently running 7 x 0.010 @ 320 bar injectors from DAP (+150 HP). I've been holding 19 to 21 MPG for 4 years of driving and 250k miles. My tunes are all posted on the download area and could help to build a better tune too. 

Currently I produce enough power that 3rd gear and up all I got to do is squeeze down on the throttle and the tires will spin for sure. :burnout:Producing about 47 PSI of boost and about 500 HP to the rear tires. Still with all this power 19 to 21 MPG daily driver. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I will have to agree with @Mopar1973Man on smaller injectors using the edge EZ. RV275's are a little smokey but bareable. I went to 50s and the smoke sucked. Iam currently running RV275's  and anEdge comp with an untapped pump. Thats pretty much an EZ. Its a bit smokey. I dont like like smoke my self. The biggier the inector the more smoke you will deal with.

I am taking it to a shop to check the injectors, if i need replacement go with the RV275's then.  I am not a diesel guy, learning as i go, I assume the RV275 bigger than stock?  not familiar with the terminology.  thanks again for the help.