• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ford Ranger

guesswho512

anyone got one of these?i have a 00 single cab, I4 2.5l, 5speed, open 7.5 with 3.73.the thing is so basic that it does have a tach or shift lighthave done and are doing some mods and repairi have a explorer 8.8 4L11 that needs some love before it goes under the old girl. why do these little trucks always have saggy leafs?

In the past I owned two Rangers.1986 2WD regular cab, long bed, 2.9 liter (first year of fuel injection), 5-speed manual. Bench seat, vinyl floor. It was a good little truck overall but had issues related to the fact that the first owner just parked it for years on end (so low miles but rot issues in the tires, hoses, brake lines, clutch slave cylinder, etc). 1999 4x4 extended cab Off Road. 4.0 liter, 4:10 gears, 5-speed manual, skid plates, 32 inch tires. This was a fun truck but I needed a puller so it got traded in on my current 2002 Cummins.My sister had a 2000 2WD reg cab manual trans. That was a good little truck.

• Staff

I have owned 2 Rangers. A 98 EX Cab, 4wd, 3.0 5 Speed, flare side, off-road package that I traded at 13K miles, it was ALWAYS in the shop, this or that. New trans at 9K miles.. Well I had just bought a canopy for it, so I traded it on a 99 Ex Cab, 4wd, 4.0 5 Speed, flare side, off-road package. The 99 was reasonable, it served me very well up thru 25K miles. I had a small lift on it, some 32" meats, and played pretty hard... At 25K miles is crapped the starter, the front hubs, and a few other things that I have forgotten. I sold the 99 in 01 with 38K miles on it, other than the fiasco at 25K miles it was solid (thou the morning after I signed the paperwork I went to pull it fwd to get some stuff out of the bed and the clutch wouldn't come off the floor, so I shut it off pushed it in and out of the parking spot, got in the runner and left). The front hub part sucked as it was winter and it took them 2 months to get everything workings.. Hubs would engage when in 2wd and not in 4wd about 80% of the time... Made winter driving real interesting.I traded the 99 in on a 95 4Runner with 90K miles, a 22RE and a 5 speed, and wheeled the fool out of the runner.

• 6 months later...

guesswho512 wrote:

anyone got one of these?

i have a 00 single cab, I4 2.5l, 5speed, open 7.5 with 3.73.

the thing is so basic that it does have a tach or shift light

have done and are doing some mods and repair

i have a explorer 8.8 4L11 that needs some love before it goes under the old girl. why do these little trucks always have saggy leafs?

What are planning for your truck? I don't have those things above but I have a spare ford ranger rims that you can have if you need it. Just let me know. :)

I had a 83 Ranger with a natural 2.2 (59 hp @ 2500). Woof!! Woof!! Couldn't get out of it's own way. Only offered 2 years (bad sign). The tranny cracked the tailhousing. Had it repaired 3 times. I threw in the towel & junked it. I later learned that I could have swapped in a 5 speed from a Madza & switched the output shaft to make it work... Might have been worthwhile if it had a turbo.

the 2.5L and some late dualplug 2.3s have roller cam setups. we used to rob them from the rangers and put them in our Merkurs. They are hard to kill, unlike the v6 version, which you can sneeze at, and it'd wipe a rod bearing..

additionally, a 60trim T3 Garret @ 18-20psi is cake to the 2.3/2.5 Lima motors. :) A set of Merkur injectors (36pph) and a turbo coupe ECU (EEC-IV) a little wiring, and a FMIC will put that motor well into the mid-200whp range..

:cool:

The Merkur 2.3L 8 valve. All stock, minus a FMIC and strong clutch...

Posted Image

If you decide to hotrod it, I've got one of these laying around.. New, no box..

Posted ImagePosted Image