• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1999 2500, 4X4 auto stock... 147K, inherit from Step Dad. Truck sat for about 4 yrs, monthly starting. steel lines from the top of level sending unit is leaking fuel badly. (i.e. painting line paint in the street bad). I'm wanting to order and put in Drawstraw I from Vulcan. From what I "can" see it def the steel line. Wil the Vulcan handle the fix? Also the $50 question, drop a half tank of fuel or pull the bed...and where are your vids on either choice? Thanxs..

i agree. wait till the tank is nearly empty. i may have removed the drive shaft. my buddy did it in about the same time :lmao:. in retrospect, i wish i would have dropped the $ for a different draw straw. then you could run the return into the same as the pump pickup. if the vp44 really does return up to 70% of the fuel, then the fuel wouldn't have far to go. not to mention, not cutting my filler neck.

• Owner

From what i understand the draw straw deal is in the tank.Your problem is out side the tank.If you have a hotrod the draw straw may help,however what about the thickness of the rest of the line?If you have a somewhat factory setup the factory sending unit will work fine.But it still not fix the outside from leaking if the line leaks.

:ahhh:My point is the dealer parts man (stupid or confused) tried to tell me I can only get the entire "basket" assemby ($650)... which blew my mind. and from my minumal knowledge I'm not in-tank with pump. I cant get my hands on any pics/vids of a stock "basket" to think this thru. I'm just not picturing the assembly and what may be broke.

• Owner

:ahhh:My point is the dealer parts man (stupid or confused) tried to tell me I can only get the entire "basket" assemby ($650)... which blew my mind. and from my minumal knowledge I'm not in-tank with pump. I cant get my hands on any pics/vids of a stock "basket" to think this thru. I'm just not picturing the assembly and what may be broke.

I love the dealer con game...:lmao::lmao2: Yes they do sell the full module for that high price but you can also get just the fuel sender too... Most don't want to tell you that..

As for the drawstraw system depending on model you pick you can out right replace the entire pickup assembly. Like My AirDog came with the old school version.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Got the tank down. A little trouble around the carrier bearing but no blood. The steel supply and returns were rusted so bad they twisted right off. I'm off to dealer to see if I can just get those. If not it's a call to Vulcan.post-10390-138698169268_thumb.jpg Rusted lines within the "red ring" Whats the other two plugs in this picture? The vent I assume (9 o'clock) appears to have a hose barb on it, but no hose when I pulled down.

Hmmm... If it was me I would consider just getting the vulcan draw straw and drill and tap a fitting into the module for standard 3/8 hose and attach the return line with normal rubber hose and hose clamps. Way cheaper than a Dodge dealer can do...

That would be my method if I was doing it!:thumbup2:

• 2 weeks later...

After a delayed shipment got the new straw in. Not too happy with parts supply. New straw went in module great but I received a stock quick connect fuel return nipple and a snap lock hose barbed nipple. Didn't want to cut factory. I rigged a new stock end nipple and started rolling coal

Help me understand...Do we all have in tank pumps? To go along with the stock Carter/or other lift pumps on the motor, and The VP44??/Or do just some years have an in tank pump?I was under the impression--mistakenly perhaps--That all I had in the tank was a pickup straw, and a sending unit for the fuel level.Please explain this to me, Thx