• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1998.5 2500 lopes and dies

I've been having trouble with my 98.5 2500 for sometime now. I go to start the truck and it "lopes" about 10-12 times and dies. I have no throttle response when pressing the pedal while it does this. I have replaced vp44, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, throttle position sensor, grid heater relay, I have newer batteries, also cleaned the grounds really good in the batteries as they had a little bit of corrosion on them. When I turn the switch on it takes a couple of seconds for the WTS light to come on, when it comes on i can hear what I believe is the fuel pump priming. WTS goes off and I start it and it does the 10-12 "lopes" and dies. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance. 

Edited by Kosmo

You need to scan it for trouble codes. That will help point us in some direction. The delayed WTS is an ECM issue. But thats another expensive part to just throw at it and hope it works.

Edited by dripley

I have scanned it for codes and the only thing that showed was grid heater relay, nothing else. It isn't throwing a check engine light either. 

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

ECM damaged... Time to rebuild it first. Now also do the W-T ground wire mod and the alternator protection fuse too. 

Forgive me for being a noob, but I'm not sure what the W-T ground wire mod is. 

It's a sticky at the very top of this particular part of the forum.  I'd be checking for codes with a newish snap on scanner do you know anyone with one ? and see if that can communicate with ecm... WTS light is ecm though

Edited by wil440

• 2 weeks later...

Update...had to ecm repaired and everything is working normal. Also installed the quadzilla adrenaline while I was at it. I am pleased with the results. Thank you guys for the advice.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 6:56 PM, Kosmo said:

Update...had to ecm repaired and everything is working normal. Also installed the quadzilla adrenaline while I was at it. I am pleased with the results. Thank you guys for the advice.

Make sure to do WT mod and check your alternator for AC noise before you cook another one.