• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo/Injector upgrade (Heavy Towing) Shoutout to Me78569

Looking for injector/turbo upgrade for strictly towing. End goal is compounds but, id rather keep 5k into rebuilding the 200k mile engine if it needs it. I just purchased a 40' 2 car trailer that i use for my hobby demo derby and i will make multiple trips to New York to drop southern clean cars from my state of Florida to my brother. Ive upgraded a bunch on the truck since i bought it not even 9 months ago. I used Me78569 stock injector towing tune and it was great but was getting into 1250 on the egt temp gauge and Florida is super flat up north with the huge hills and grades i think turbo will be a issue. Most research ive done says a 62/68/12 is what i need with 100+ hp injectors but want more opinions. Truck Is a 2001 3500 dually, NV5600, New Blue Chip vp44 , Quadzilla adrenaline, ARP head studs, South Bend dual disc organic/ceramic clutch, 5 inch mbrp straight exhaust Air dog 165 Lift pump, beans diesel sump, etc. First pic was last weekend with a buddys  trailer second pic is my new 40' that i need to pick up whenever with corona **** is over. Thanks for all input.spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by 1369x

For towing purposes and with the manual trans I would go with the 62/65/12 instead of the 62/68/12.  The 65 will come on a tad faster and at a lower rpm...since you lose rpm's between manual shifts.  Also makes a perfect upper in a future compound setup.  I think you would be fine with 150hp injectors but see what @Me78569has to say on that. 

I run a 62/65/12 on a compound setup with 150 injectors (7x.010's) and it spools very similar to the stocker I pulled off.  EGT's are no worry. 

Edited by Bullet

Forgot hp/tq goals... was looking for 500hp via compounds and 1000tq and just a quick spooling hauler idc about having a big **** contest with the local high schoolers squatted 5 tree Tahoe bouncing off the rev limiter. Thanks lol

• Haha 1

• Owner

I'm running 7 x 0.010 injectors (150 HP), HX35/40 Hybrid (60/60/12), Quadzilla Tuner.

I've towed plenty of heavy loads. Right now I'm getting prepped for making a trip sometime in the future. I'll be going south to meet my other family (Eileen's Mom, Eileen, Grandmother, Etc.) I know my RV combo puts me at about 17,000 pounds. I'm going to increase and add the ATV and more supplies since the trip will be long. Then come back from all that then get prepped for firewood hauling like I've done in the past. I've might have to haul another pickup down here on a flatbed trailer as well. 

I'm in process in making new tunes. I managed to get my economy tune (summer) hitting much better. Passing the 20 MPG mark for sure. Quadzilla hovers at about 24 to 35 MPG in instant MPG display at 65 MPH. Now my new towing tune is going to be great in keeping the EGT's controlled and provide as much power with out getting excessive hot. Yeah, I have enough power to run the EGT as high as I wish. 

My full list of mods (4 pages)...

https://mopar1973man.com/garage/vehicle/101-2002-dodge-ram-2500/?show=mods

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Cheapest option is stock hx35/ s464/83/1.10 T6

Piping kit and s464 will be less than $2000 and its going to be able to support 500-550HP.  

57GXE and s369SXE would also be a great option 550HP or maybe  alittle more, but $will be a lot more. 

s475/96/1.32 is not a good turbo choice with either of the small turbos mentioned... add a 1.15 AR housing and its worth discussing.

• Thanks 1

Will the 57 sxe hold me over for awhile until I piece the rest together or stick with the hx35 until I can do it all at once,or would a single turbo in that power range towing what I tow be so crappy that I'd need compounds? I honestly am just looking for enough power that when the trailers unhooked its something I can have a little fun with but when trailers hooked up it's like it's not even there I'm happy with there factory tq its the hp seems I'm lacking. 

1 hour ago, 1369x said:

Will the 57 sxe hold me over for awhile until I piece the rest together or stick with the hx35 until I can do it all at once,or would a single turbo in that power range towing what I tow be so crappy that I'd need compounds? I honestly am just looking for enough power that when the trailers unhooked its something I can have a little fun with but when trailers hooked up it's like it's not even there I'm happy with there factory tq its the hp seems I'm lacking. 

What's being suggested to you sounds like a compounds or bust solution.  There's no doubt that compounds are the way to go for a tow rig and I agree.  But if you can't afford it right now you won't be happy at all with a 57 or hx35 by itself in the meantime.  A 62/65/12 by itself will do a much better job until you can afford the compound setup.  Then stick a 69 or 72 underneath it down the road and kiss any and all of your EGT concerns goodbye forever. 

• Like 1

The old 57mm cast s300g is ok

The new GXE 57mm (57.15mm sold as 58mm by others) is a great spooling turbo.  The wheel is lighter than the others mentioned and spools very quick.

We can get it in a 57/61/12cm for insane spool up on a max of 400HP  that is direct drop in for hx35

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bullet said:

What's being suggested to you sounds like a compounds or bust solution. 

depends on his goals.   What he said up front makes the suggestions that follow. 

If compounds are not the goal or the end hp goal is greater than 500 hp I would suggest a 62 to start with.  

However proper tuning + 7 x .010's and a 57 + 69 setup would be a pretty killer towing setup.   honestly the 57 solo will support more HP worth of air than a 2nd gen should be towing with anyways.   350 whp is more than enough to tow anything a 2nd gen frame can support.  

egt's wont be an issue with 7 x .010's and the 57 assuming a decent tune.  

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

500 hp wasnt really a goal more of a set number in my head that i figured would be a easy power number to do everything I wanted. End goal is compounds but if a single turbo can get me by for a while I'd like that. I just put the head studs and new gasket on less than a month ago I'd hate to take it back apart this early to get a oring cut in to the head for compounds. I wouldn't mind spending 2k on a single turbo and injectors and then 5k later in the year maybe a good christmas present for a bad *** towing compound set up.

First cummins, I'm sure just as with everything else it's more power more problems. Reliability means more to me than power based on that is 400hp more reliable with compounds or is 700 more reliable with compounds. I dont have a clue with what these things can handle just was told the truck will fall apart around the engine and trans and so far that is 100 percent true for me so far lol.

23 minutes ago, 1369x said:

I just put the head studs and new gasket on less than a month ago I'd hate to take it back apart this early to get a oring cut in to the head for compounds.

Many recommend above 45psi...need studs, above 50psi..need o-rings, etc...but that's quite conservative to me.  I've hit 60psi on several occasions and 50+psi happens quite often as well with only studs tightened to 135 ft.lbs.  Head gasket has over 200k miles on it...never a problem.  If I were to push 60-70psi then I would would get o-rings.  Point being that I don't think you will ever get to the point of needing o-rings. 

Edited by Bullet

a 2nd gen was not designed to tow / work hard at 500 hp.  Nothing about the platform is tough enough for that in my mind.  Even big compound guys don't tow while putting 500+ hp to the ground.   

Its difficult to make a 2nd gen be both a toy and a reliable work horse above 550-600 hp.

Orings are not really needed in my mind for a tow applications.   Studs are plenty fine. 

Just had to upgrade subscription went with the platinum yearly seems well worth the price alot of info here thanks for that first off for the guys who run the site. Anyway if 350-450hp will be a better platform for hauling then I'm open for that aswell if I can pass a vehicle on the interstate towing my 40' trailer at almost the same pace as if it wasnt there then I'm open for any options hp/tq options. The engine and trans are what I bought the truck for long way down the road I wanna buy a blown up ford 6.0 truck and swap it all over for more comfort. Besides that based on what I'm wanting 350-450 hp would be the better number to search for for hauling? The 245 factory number just doesn't cut it for me. With your towing tune ME on level 5 with the wire tap it was a fun tune to rip through the gear towing those town cars 4 hours home but the egts were starting to see that I was at my limit with my weight I wanted to pull. So I figure more base power via turno injectors and keep the tuner there for when the trailer not hooked up for the wow factor. I came from a 2006 gasser 2500 which towed my single car fine all over the country but no way would I ever hook my 2 car to it.

FB_IMG_1588296800498.jpg

• Like 1

I don't like towing with wiretap personally.  I would leave it on lvl3 towing.

A killer tow setup with be 7 x .010's and that 57.   66lb/min is a good 400 hp worth of towing air.  that is a CONSIDERABLE upgrade over what you have now.   

All diesel guys love the idea of 500+ hp, but more often than not a 350 hp setup is more than enough to make you smile. We all suffer from the hp drive.

Not to downplay the 62/68/12 setup as that is a tried and true 500 hp DD / tow setup but I would personally be looking at the 57 if I was towing a lot and mulling over the idea of twins down the road.

either choice will work, the 62 will have more power up top the 57 will outspool the 62.   if the truck is more of a toy then 62 if it is more of a work horse then 57 :2cents:

Edited by Me78569

I will probably shoot for the 57 gxe DAP was talking about 400 horse is a pretty good jump over the 200 ish I've had. If the canbus fueling will make it a work horse with the quadzilla and 100-150hp injectors I think id be super happy with that. Thanks

Edited by 1369x