• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

All sorts of problems w/quad download

Wondering if anyone else has issues with

"Daily driver with meat" tune?

It was running awsome for a day or two, then things took a turn for the worst. Started idleing around 3k too high, hard starting, 5-8 seconds of cranking (usually fire's right up with just a blip of turn key) check engine light, 0500, 1693, sitting at a light whilst in gear it would surge randomly and try to take off!

Switched to a different tune and seems to go back to normal?? Honestly haven't driven much since. But lights out and idles normal.

On another note, if anyone in Boise area could help a brother out who has experience with the quadzilla and maybe help me dial this thing in, fine tune custom tunes, settings, sensor warnings, etc.

I'm new to this iquad and diesels in general and this is just overwhelming!! Plug & play? Kinda? For a diesel newb, nope.

Thanks for any info/ideas.

I ran that tune up untill Thursday when I put in bigger injectors and I never had a problem with it.  Maybe yours got corrupted somehow.  Try switching back to it and see if it still acts up.  If it does you may have to re-download it.

For what it's worth, 0500 is No Vehicle Speed Sensor

Edited by hdpwipmonkey

Sure seems like a quadzilla or download issue to me. Didn't mean to say 3k too high for idle, but 300 or so too high, but that's in park idleing,  (yes it's warmed up ), while in gear it wasn't that high , maybe 100-150 too much, but because trans is pulling it down? Like it never came out of high idle mode. And randomly a little surprise surge. Maybe that little surge was always there and amplified by the quad? But the issues go away (so far) with a different tune, hard starting,high idle, check engine light, etc.. How could that not be the quadzilla?

Sure would be nice to find someone local with experience to hold my hand a bit so to speak.

Reading only gets me so far, I don't have excel on my computer to keep track of data, and even if I did I probably couldn't interpret it? And can't seem to find anything on what the parameters should be and so on.

Has anyone found a solution to be able to actually see your phone or tablet while driving in the daytime?

Sorry to sound like a pessimist, but I'm beginning to see why the local performance guy was trying to steer me away and get the comp box, especially for a newb like myself?

I'm not computer or diesel literate, not a good combo while trying to figure this thing out!

Regardless, I have it now and I'm going to have to learn somehow. Still searching for the books, "quadzilla and diesels for dummies" Lol!

Thanks for the help!

If it was running good then stopped running good something changed.

The tune loaded itself has no control over idle or hard starting.  

Check your grounds, check your brake light switch, check your apps % at idle.  Ensure the quads high idle is off.

P0500 is a code that happens if you spin out or if your rear sensor goes bad.  

Throttle, (what you call apps?) Is at 0% @ idle.

Doesn't seem to like the high idle warm up mode? Seems like that's when things get glitchy, I made my own tune based on your daily/with meat and re-loaded, I tapped the throttle pedal to make sure it was reading% (while it was idleing high, wasn't warmed up) that's when the idle dropped and light and same codes came on??!

I removed fuses for ECM, to clear light, turned off warm up mode, idled normally, drove around awhile, drove normal, idles normal, no lights/codes, restart was still a little longer cranking than I'd like. Very strange.

Maybe it's just me? I'll have to call quadzilla tomorrow I guess.

I realize alot of the parameters are personalized and depending on setup, mods, ECT.   But as far as warnings go, what's too hot for egt's, trans., Fuel, boost pressure? I'm just guessing a random number in-between quad suggestions.

Then on settings, boost defuel, egt defuel? I'm assuming that would come in handy when towing.

. I'm leaving MPG Offset off, don't know what it's used for?

What's a safe temp for turbo before shutdown? (Turbo timer)

sorry for all the questions but I need to learn somehow ?

Like I said, not liking the hard starting when warm, anyone know if I might try tweeking something? Was never like this before quad install.

Anyone have a stockish injector MPG tune?

Thanks for any/all help!

Just a little food for thought. I too am a bit leary on the quad for the same reasons as you are. I do want one though and will likely get one. 

Grounds on these trucks are vey important so if yours is having some ground issues that could be part of the problem also. It would be be good to look at and do WT's ground mod. Sorry but I cannot link it. Hope some one will help with that. Battery cables and connections, both ends need to be good. A lot of grounds on these trucks.

The other thing is gas versus diesel. Borh need compresion but gas needs a spark and diesel needs temp. Timing of the spark for the gas and timing for the fuel injection on the diesel makes them both go boom at the right time. The 2 are just internal combustion engines.

The questions on the Quad settings i will leave to the more knowledgeable but would offer this, 1300* is the max I would want to see for egt's and fuel pressure above 14. A lot of the other things delends on the mods on your truck including fuel pressure. 

Here are my settings

Screenshot_20201004-165402.png.844eb3fcc8374d1ad5022aa7f109b37c.png

Boost defuel I have set at 35psi because I dont have headstuds yet.

EGT defuel is set to 1400 because... thats where I set it.  You can set yours lower if you'd like.  1300 or 1350 might be safer.

It sounds like your truck is having an issue with the high idle so I'd leave that off on yours.

Warmup mode is at what (coolant) temp your quad will begin.  You can set this lower to come on sooner or higher to come on after the truck is nice and warm.  I would say anywhere between 140 to 190 is good and is up to you.

I don't use the MPG offset.

Turbo timer you can set to EGT if you have the probe installed (300F to 350F is a good temp for it to shutdown) or you can set it to time based if you dont have the probe installed then set the time to how ever long it takes to get it cooled to 300 - 350 (I think I had mine at 60 secs before I had the probe installed)

Screenshot_20201004-165430.png.e8e0db78687b1018bcd750688f3aa488.png

These are just when you'll get your visual warnings (the icons will turn yellow when they are over these settings).

I don't have fuel pressure, trans temp or fuel temp enabled since I don't have those sensors installed.

Edited by hdpwipmonkey
More explanation

Thanks again! I almost forgot I did come across that link when I made my first tune.

I need to keep reading over and over and perhaps it will start sinking in! I've forgotten most of what I've read already! And alot of it just hurt my brain ? And also need a computer with excel.

A P0500 code is a pcm code for the speed sensor.  The quadzilla is in no way shape or form able to effect that code.   If you get a P0500 code while idling you need to chase wires to the rear.  

What other codes are you getting other than P1693?  

Those are the only codes, very odd and coincidental that it only happens when the quad high idle is activated. (So far)

I'll have to test that theory over several days, but yesterday's first start of the day high idle was on, tapped the throttle and that code came on (light) cleared it, deactivated high idle, never came back on and behaved normal all day.

"Chase wires to the rear"  I understand it's a speed sensor or ABS code, but anything in particular I might check?

Thanks!

I checked it with a scan tool from parts store first time, then when it went off again I did the ignition key trick, cleared once with scan tool, twice by removing ECM fuses under hood.

Just started it up first time today and idle was surging from 750- 1000 something, I turned off the truck, and re-loaded tune (after 5-7 min. of it saying it couldn't connect!) Then restarted and idle was normal. No CEL today but can't help wondering if that's because I turned truck off before it had a chance to decide it wasn't liking what was going on??

Those were the only two codes showing.

Codes dont clear by removing power.  They are stored in memory.  

Do you know if you have OEM high idle enabled in the ecm?  If so you need to ensure the quad's high idle is disabled as they do not play together nice.