• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47RE manual shift lever problem

It rather suddenly became obvious I have a gear selector issue, very sloppy trying to select a gear.

Any suggestions? I looked in the Parts diagrams, looks like perhaps a retainer fell off? No leaks. Bolt "#21" in diagram is there and tight.

Photo of internal shift portion from Moses Ludel writeup. Is it possible/likely that clip he shows is my problem?

Trans Shift Parts 2.JPG

Trans Shift Parts.JPG

Trans Shift Lever Internal.JPG

Edited by LorenS
Added parts diagrams and Moses Ludel photo

Whoah, $38 apiece for bushings?!?!?!

My expectation was off by a factor of about 10...

I will certainly check them before ordering.

Thanks, Me78569

#1 is all good, checked that again yesterday. Just seems like #10, 11 (second diagram) shouldn't have that much play, even if I completely removed the shift linkage.

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Is the seal leaking around the shafts?

Not that I can tell, but sure seems like it should be.  It passed the "reach up there with my finger and see if it's wet with red fluid test", but I haven't got out a mirror for a visual.

• Staff

I'd check mine but it's in the body shop and I won't see it for another 3 weeks.  If I remember right there was no play in the linkage of my transmission when I removed and replaced it last year.    To isolate the play try disconnecting the linkage where rod  #10 attaches to lever #18.  Now you can isolate whether the play is in the linkage or the shift comb in the transmission.

Edited by IBMobile

• Owner
12 hours ago, LorenS said:

Any chance someone with an automatic can try wiggling their selector like I did in the video, and let me know if it wiggles that much? Not many of these trucks in the Walmart parking lots around here....

I've got two Auto Trans 2nd Gen's in the yard right now. I'll go take a peak later on when the sun comes up. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've got two Auto Trans 2nd Gen's in the yard right now. I'll go take a peak

Hopefully no need now. Decided to do a take apart and reassemble before my dentist appointment this morning and it cured my ills, I hope (no longer loose, but haven't shifted gears to make sure I didn't screw up something else!)

Thanks for the offer, hopefully you didn't already check.

No idea what the issue was, that bolt was tight. Maybe something stuck in the clamp I couldn't see.