• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Weird steering issue!

Just switched out my power steering fluid. Nothing wrong with the steering but I had some Walmart crap in there and wanted to flush out most of it. I didn't do a complete flush but drained the reservoir several times and replaced it with O'Reilly PSF which is Dodge MS-5931 compatible.

Got in the rig this morning and my power steering and brakes were gone. YIKES...did I just lose my PS pump??? I'm thinking not (wouldn't that be a coincidence) so checked the reservoir and found I had way overfilled it. Drained it down to the "Cold" level, started up and in 30 seconds I had my PS and brakes back.

I don't know if this a real issue or I had air in the lines or what but it's right back to normal. Any comments on over-filling or what might have happened here would be appreciated. 

Edited by MikeH

50 minutes ago, dripley said:

vacuum pump has nothing to do with either system

You're right (I edited). I was thinking they worked together. Regardless, still don't know if an over fill would do more than puke some out once it got hot. I did do a lock to lock on a test drive several times after the refill so should have been good to go. Not sure what happened but air trapped in the lines seems the likely culprit. All's well right now but I'll keep an eye on the level for a while.

• Staff

My truck got a redhead steering gear and the numb nuts doing the work put ATF in there on an 01 :nono:. Did not jack it up and didn't undo the low pressure line to bleed. He started up the truck and went lock to lock about 40 times. I heard this going on and went out of the waiting area to check on it. Poor steering pump was so hot and the red ATF foamed like limp whip cream. All this guy cared about was getting my money. I told got him to stop. This guy and the shop manager did not care, they were just a couple hosers and did nt care if they hurt the system. I am going to Write a review soon. After 38 yrs of going there........ Holbrook Specialties used to be the very best. Not anymore.

I feel sorry for hard working people that know nothing and are getting hosed by a lot of these shops using the allotment times and the mechanic taking every possible shortcut.

Edited by JAG1
  • Sad 1

Well I bled the PS system the right way instead of making a few circles in the parking lot. Jacked the rig up and moved the wheel lock to lock as I added fluid to the correct level. Definitely got more air out. Power steering is working like a champ now. Lesson learned! 

• Like 2