• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hello from Oklahoma

DownHomeDiesel

Hello.  I've been free reading on the cite on and off for a few years and after finally deciding it was the one I seem to get the most quality information from, I subscribed.  So, thanks for all of the good information you put on the web.  You guys have helped me a lot on my journey.

My Journey:

Due to a lot of factors I decided I wanted to buy an older model vehicle that I could learn to understand and work on myself.  (Call me crazy but I find the disconnect between driver and vehicle... troubling.)  I wanted it to be a functional vehicle that fit some of my needs.  My brother talked me into getting the 5.9l cummins and I ended up with a 98.5.  It had been sitting for a long time; its owner had gotten into meth and no longer drove it.  The truck showed 160k miles but the speedo wasnt working.   The truck is 4wd, has a long bed, and a manual tranny all of which I required.  I bought it thinking I would use it as a work/tow and occasional offroad hunting rig and I could tinker with fixing it up on the in-between  times but it has managed to spend a lot of time as a daily driver.  I used a dana50 off an old Ford to convert the front hubs to manual locking.  Replacing the redneck bumpers have been a long on and off project.  I did the 2010 steering upgrade, DOR steering brace, and Redneck Ram steering box job. The steering still has a touch of play but is much better now.  I upgraded the clutch and master/slave when they gave out.  For the most part the engine and the A/C works and everything else is a work in progress but I love the truck.  To further speed up the learning process I recently took on a side job working with a guy who parts out 2nd gens for a living.  I'm planning to put all of this income into tools and the truck for a while.  I still have a thousand questions but it has been a good adventure so far.

Ryan

Edited by DownHomeDiesel
Fix typos
  • Like 1

• Owner

Yup. Your in the right place. Just get your threads started on different projects we will help you out.

On the speedometer issue do you have an ABS and BRAKE lights on? Fix the speed sensors first. The is one in the rear differential that provides speed info. You might have front sensor issues too.

Any CCD Bus issues? No Bus shown in the odometer then it a bus issue preventing the cluster from see the info.

On 6/24/2021 at 12:06 AM, DownHomeDiesel said:

Hello.  I've been free reading on the cite on and off for a few years and after finally deciding it was the one I seem to get the most quality information from, I subscribed.  So, thanks for all of the good information you put on the web.  You guys have helped me a lot on my journey.

My Journey:

Due to a lot of factors I decided I wanted to buy an older model vehicle that I could learn to understand and work on myself.  (Call me crazy but I find the disconnect between driver and vehicle... troubling.)  I wanted it to be a functional vehicle that fit some of my needs.  My brother talked me into getting the 5.9l cummins and I ended up with a 98.5.  It had been sitting for a long time; its owner had gotten into meth and no longer drove it.  The truck showed 160k miles but the speedo wasnt working.   The truck is 4wd, has a long bed, and a manual tranny all of which I required.  I bought it thinking I would use it as a work/tow and occasional offroad hunting rig and I could tinker with fixing it up on the in-between  times but it has managed to spend a lot of time as a daily driver.  I used a dana50 off an old Ford to convert the front hubs to manual locking.  Replacing the redneck bumpers have been a long on and off project.  I did the 2010 steering upgrade, DOR steering brace, and Redneck Ram steering box job. The steering still has a touch of play but is much better now.  I upgraded the clutch and master/slave when they gave out.  For the most part the engine and the A/C works and everything else is a work in progress but I love the truck.  To further speed up the learning process I recently took on a side job working with a guy who parts out 2nd gens for a living.  I'm planning to put all of this income into tools and the truck for a while.  I still have a thousand questions but it has been a good adventure so far.

Ryan

Hey a fellow Midwesterner! Welcome! If you need any help and/or questions and you happen to be up by Wichita give me a shout!

On 6/25/2021 at 8:15 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Yup. Your in the right place. Just get your threads started on different projects we will help you out.

On the speedometer issue do you have an ABS and BRAKE lights on? Fix the speed sensors first. The is one in the rear differential that provides speed info. You might have front sensor issues too.

Any CCD Bus issues? No Bus shown in the odometer then it a bus issue preventing the cluster from see the info.

I apologize I didnt mention I got it fixed.  It was a quick and easy change the sensor on the rear diff.  However I have a 2007 I'm trying to work the bugs out of so I can get it sold.  I'm trying to fix the speedometer issue on it and a new rear sensor did not fix it.  Would that same info apply to the 2007?

On 6/25/2021 at 8:22 AM, TheGreatWhite said:

Hey a fellow Midwesterner! Welcome! If you need any help and/or questions and you happen to be up by Wichita give me a shout!

Thanks, I may take you up on that someday!

Thanks all for the warm welcomes!

Could I get any recommendations of a good store with a selection of 2nd gen parts/upgrades that will speak to you and work with prices? 

• Staff
On 6/24/2021 at 1:06 AM, DownHomeDiesel said:

but it has managed to spend a lot of time as a daily driver. 

Funny how addicting they are to drive isn't it. I have an '01 3500 quad cab dually that I drive every chance I get. 

Welcome to the forum, there us alot of experience and know how here to help you keep that old iron rolling.

• Thanks 1

Definitely addicting.  I think it will get worse if/when I add an exhaust brake.

That's a heck of a trio.  I have to admit I've gone back and forth a little on dropping the 98.5 for the 07.  And I've also considered p-pumping the 98.5.  In the end I keep settling on the 98.5 but wishing it was an 01 or 02.  And I enjoy borrowing my brother's 93.

• Owner

Highly suggest not p-pumping unless your planning on racing. Lose all the dynamic timing. Not worth it you can build more power with a VP44 personally. 

Exhaust brake is huge and worth every penny. Brakes pads last upwards of 250k miles. Like the 2006 I've got has auto braking while in cruise control.

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Highly suggest not p-pumping unless your planning on racing. Lose all the dynamic timing. Not worth it you can build more power with a VP44 personally. 

Exhaust brake is huge and worth every penny. Brakes pads last upwards of 250k miles. Like the 2006 I've got has auto braking while in cruise control.

It was something you said on another thread about timing that essentially talked me out of it and made me appreciate the vp more.

My bud got a 2010 that came with the brake and I was sold immediately.  I plan to get an exhaust brake just as soon as I get my turbo choices situated.  I have decided I want a compound set up.  A friend told me he'd give me the turbo out of his 855 Peterbuilt for nothing.  But I've decided I'm not a good enough welder/pipe bender to pull that off at the moment.  My current plan is to buy a kit when I sale the other truck.  

Edited by DownHomeDiesel
Glaring typos