• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

LF Wheel Hub Play

Was checking front end before making an appointment for alignment and noticed LF wheel has play with hands at 12 and 6 O’clock but NOT at 3 and 9 O’clock.  I really have to put some effort into it to feel it, but it’s there.  Wheel spins both direction with no noise/grinding (All the bad stuff.) nor do I hear anything at Highway Speeds (If that is possible with a Diesel.)  I was hoping it was a Ball Joint, but I see no issues. Any advice? Thanks Leaky. 

• Staff

It may be a wheel bearing going bad.   Drive on a windy road 30-45MPH  letting off the power and coasting into the corners.  If there is a bearing starting to go bad you will hear a grinding noise when it gets "loaded" it the turns.  So on a right turn the left bearing gets loaded and listen for the noise.   As a left bearing get worse it will make noise on a straight drive but go away on a left turn when it is "unloaded".   The opposite tests will hold true for the right side bearing.

• Like 1

I've heard of front bearings going up to 300K miles but doubt if that's what everyone can expect. Front bearing unit is sealed so not much you can do. The rear bearing get bathed in diff oil and might go longer depending on abuse. I had mine fronts changed out at ~200K as the ball joints and tie rod ends were shot and getting replaced. The bearing/hub seemed fine at the time but we were about to make a trip to the Baja and didn't want to risk it.

It wasn't a year later that a rear bearing seal started leaking. Again, bearings and races seemed OK but no way I was going that deep into the rear axle without replacing everything. 

Hard to answer what the expected mileage is as it depends on use. A ballpark figure might be 150 - 250K. I would run them 'til they act up. Bearings aren't going to blow up or anything and will let you know when it's time.

12 and 6 to me would mean a ball joint. You can put it on jack stands and get pry bar under the tire have someone wiggle it while you watch. There always a bit of up and down movement but shouldn't be any side to side. 

23 hours ago, MikeH said:

Front bearing unit is sealed so not much you can do.

You can grease them through sensor hole, just don't over do it. I've drilled and put a grease zerk in so I can grease it and old stuff comes out of sensor hole. I also used a vacuum and got all of the old grease out through sensor hole, then put some miniral spirits thinner in spun the hub, vacuumed, repeat until it's all nice and clean, then pump grease in through the grease zerk, maybe 15 pumps, drove like that for 10k or so then I changed them out chasing my abs break light issues which turned out to be my rear end sensor. So I got all new front end for no reason and got old hubs on the shelf as they are still in great shape with about 160k on them. 

• Like 1

Appreciate the Feedback.

Update: 
I like to have parts before I start. Rock Auto selection of Hubs has a sea of types depending upon ABS, 4WD, dual wheels etc. So I tried to narrow it down at AZ. 

Man at AZ kept talking/suggesting “regular wheel replacement bearings/races” and I would not listen, insisting bearing hubs were needed.

Turns out, I don’t have bearing hubs.  Both the Inner/Outer Bearing on my Front Wheels are replaceable. Perhaps having an Independent Front Suspension, 2WD  is reason , I don’t know. ( Or, it could be linked to the different location of my Cruise Light is on the Cluster for those that might recall that rabbit hole I went into.)
The strange thing is, I can’t find, or have not found a section in FSM that talks to this. 

Sadly,  I was really looking forward to getting that OEM  22 year old hub, torqued to 280#, and exposed to the elements, but I’m sure there’s another character builder awaiting me in the future. 

Onward.

Thanks Leaky

B12E1151-421B-4C8C-ACC1-D86048FAF238.jpeg

A9142D7D-74F9-4056-9234-E87751DC94B0.jpeg

I think everybody missed the fact that you have a two wheel drive even though it is shown in your signature, I know I did.  Otherwise, I would have mentioned that you could have inspected and adjusted the wheel bearings if they were in good condition.

- John

• Like 1

Not a problem, I have a lot of fun with this Truck.  I have still not found this fact in the FSM though. 
Unfortunately, my CRS gets worse with age. Before long I’ll be meeting long time family members and introducing myself like it’s our first meeting. 

17 minutes ago, Leaky88 said:

Before long I’ll be meeting long time family members and introducing myself like it’s our first meeting. 

No worries.  There will be embarrassment for a very brief moment and then you will forget that it ever happened.

- John