• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

AirDog 150 install

• Owner

I've got a forum member and local client here at the house with his Dodge Cummins having new +50 HP injectors, new AirDog 150 installed, and a big line kit. Now what I want to focus on here is my custom AirDog install and what it took to make it happen. On short bed trucks, the fuel tank is more forward toward the transfer case. There is not enough room for the AirDog to mount on the inside of the frame. Even on the outside of the frame is really limited using the supplied bracket and fittings. I chucked the whole idea out and started over, now thinking custom install. I had to call back to @dieselautopower and get the old school JIC fittings and have them as 90* elbows, not the straight quick connects. Now I took advantage of the outside of the frame but the rear of the rear cab mount. I'm using this as a guard from thrown debris. The frame is too wide to use the supplied sandwich bracket. So I used only the pump bracket and the plastic pedestal that is supplied. I drilled 4 holes and tapped the holes in the frame and bolted the pump to the frame of the truck. The 3 JIC elbows allow for the tight area and only one fuel line needed to be looped to prevent a kink.

The rear cab mount is forward from the two fittings on the left. This guards the filters against being struck by debris. The rear fitting pointing up is the return to fuel tank heading to the filler neck and the one pointing down was my supply to the engine. For the supply to the engine, I added a small loop to prevent kinking. 

20211127_150703.jpg

Here you see I completely did away with the sandwich bracket and just drilled and tapped into the frame. I couldn't use nuts because the fuel tank is completely in the way. The plastic pedestal worked out perfect too being allows for the brake cable not to rub the pump or filters. 

20211127_150734.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 4

• Owner

Owner just came and collected his truck and was pleased with the custom install of the AirDog 150. Tucked up out of the way and shouldn't have any problems. 

This is one of the few reasons I don't like to use FASS pumps they are too big to hard to mount without the filter hanging below the frame. This is a absolute no-no if the filter hang below the frame at all. Good way to be struck with flying debris or swiped off the pump base out 4 wheel driving.

• Like 1

• Owner

I ordered 1/2 inch lines, with draw straw outside the fuel basket. On his truck I installed the straw at the rear of the tank. Then added a big line kit to keep the stock filter housing. Then the JIC fittings at the pump.

Oh the best part there was only 1/8 tank of fuel and on heavy throttle no pressure drop. This time I got the straw touching the bottom and notched.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner

I won't sell a FASS again. After all the head aches with them. Filters being struck because hanging too low. Pumps freezing up because of limited mounting locations. I watch a truck I install a FASS on and my own truck both using the very same fuel from the same fuel station. Then parked in the same field over night. Mine fired up the FASS froze up and blew the fuse. Then fought with the FASS to get it pumping again in subzero really sucked. Because of the mounting location provided the pump motor had got some water down inside and then froze tight. Where being my AirDog is mounted behind the transfer case and stays drier. This can't be done with a FASS because they are physically TOO BIG!

AirDog 100/150/165 all the way. After my last custom install I wish that AirDog would drop the quick connectors and go back to JIC fittings. Way better and easier to work with. Do way more with custom installs.

I won't touch a AirDog Raptor Series they have crappy regulators and tend to stick. No filters and no return leg. These pumps are easy to cavitate (introduce air to the fuel). Being there is no return leg.  

• Like 2