• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

Theory of it...

Programmer (Smarty) -> ECM -> External Box (Edge) -> VP44

So the programmer like Smarty alters the timing and fuel tables within the ECM so they are enhanced over stock values. Now the ECM assumes these are normal now. Edge modules sees the "Stock Values" and adds more fuel and timing to this and send this signal to the VP44...

But thing to be careful of is not to stock 2 timing products together because over advancement of timing can occur and wipe out your pistons and rings... So like in the example above Smarty is normally ran in a non-timing program and the Edge would add more fuel and timing against the signal.

The old school combo I remember was TST and Smarty... TST was a fuel only box and Smarty was a fueling and timing programmer so you got the best of both worlds.

This fad slowly kind of faded away for awhile because with the Smarty people were finding certain combonations of boxes and programers where canceling out and other combos did better...

--- Update to the previous post...

How does stacking even work? I know you get another chip and put it on the other and somehow it gives it more fuel but how?

Stacking is like what you run without a AFC and Plate... :lmao::lmao2:

• Like 1

I searched around and found some tidbits. One of them said something there are 3 things; programmers, chips, and fueling/timing boxes.

So here is what I have been able to put together:

Programmer

Changes ECM values for more timing/fuel (is that all it changes?)

Fueling/Timing Boxes

Messes with VP44 fueling and timing

Chip

:shrug:

What I don't get is why you can't do JUST a programmer OR a fueling/timing box if they do the same thing but at different locations. Do both locations have thresholds so you can only go so far with the ECM and after that you have to go with a fuel/time box to go any further? I don't see why you can't just set the programmer even higher.

The carpet is my fuel plate :lol:

• Owner

Most programmers are limited to 60 HP that's it... I think there is only so far you can go with values before the ECM just goes :wtf:. But Now most fueling/timing boxes max out at 120 HP... Except Quadzilla Adrenaline at 150 HP... But since most fueling/timing boxes alter the signal after the ECM and can extend well beyond the limits of the ECM software so this why most boxes tend to produce more power. But like I told you ISX on the phone the wire tap to the solenoid on the VP44 is the factor that adds the fuel beyond the ECM's abilities. So without the wire tap most boxes limit to 40-60 HP period... So the theory is if you beef up the ECM signal and getting more fuel then the box would add more fuel on top of that signal too. Now Smarty is able to cut back the torque management and get the fuel started heavy and hard down low were most boxes can't do it because they are at the mercy of the ECM's torque management. So with the stack it should produce a wicked combo. But now running 3 fueling mods with White's idea... :shrug:

I knew about how the edge worked and that wire after you told me. I just never could figure out why you had to stack things that adjusted the same variables. So it goes out of the ECM's limits then you get the box and fuel it from there. Now it all makes sense. Is there a benefit to stacking rather than just getting a good box (like that 150HP one maybe)?And what is a "chip" supposed to technically be?

I knew about how the edge worked and that wire after you told me. I just never could figure out why you had to stack things that adjusted the same variables. So it goes out of the ECM's limits then you get the box and fuel it from there. Now it all makes sense. Is there a benefit to stacking rather than just getting a good box (like that 150HP one maybe)? And what is a "chip" supposed to technically be?

A lot of people stack as different chips/programmers do it differently at each end. eg Smarty is stacked with edge/adrenaline as the smarty provides better low end responsiveness - and the edge/adrenaline then gives you your fuel/power on the high end. Plus some saftey stuff built into each. But like mike said - if you stack your meant to run them on certain settings.

• Owner

And what is a "chip" supposed to technically be?

Chip is technically like the enhancement box... This comes from the gasoline engines where people phyiscally pulled the the "Chip" out of the early GM vehicle and replaced them with a "Enhanced Chip". But as you know there is no way to do this on our trucks so its either "Re-Flash" the ECM with a "Programmer" or use a "Enhancement Box"...

that's right ..my tst was fuel only..smarty for ecm down low power and the puck does pressure and timing..this is for the common rails..for the c.r. guys diablo has a predator programmer and puck combo..it can have timing or download programs for no timing...man could they fog out an intersection..edge juice does fuel and timing.so i would have to unhook the edge and just run the puck..if i get one..and use the smarty with it.right now i run the even numbers on the smarty because they have no timing added since i am running a edge juice.is the comp. box just a FUEL box mopar?

• Owner

Edge Juice = Edge Comp Edge Juice (Hot Unlock) = Edge Comp Drag They are basically the same module with the same programming... The Edge Juice though on the hot unlock has a 6th level... When the Comp only has the 5 levels and then I think they both fuel all the way to redline. The only difference is Edge Juice got all the pretty toys and Edge Comp well is just a box... post-2-138698170558_thumb.jpg

• Owner

i was under the impression that only automatic transmissions have/had torque management. am i wrong?

Sorry to say even I've got torque management with a 5 speed transmission... Right around 25-30 MPH it releases and all hell breaks loose for me... 1st and 2nd are mild... But 3rd is a whole new animal... :wow:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to say even I've got torque management with a 5 speed transmission... Right around 25-30 MPH it releases and all hell breaks loose for me... 1st and 2nd are mild... But 3rd is a whole new animal... :wow:

I guess I've never really noticed anything.... Maybe that's b/c I don't normally drive that hard??:shrug::lmao2:

I'm getting a power puck for my truck and I'm wondering about boost fooling with it. Does it do that and should I be getting a boost elbow too?

This one does http://www.diablosport.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=136 and I think most new ones do that plug into MAP. yes to the boost elbow on a manual and a j-hook/turnbucle on an auto