• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Contemplations on an abandoned project: 2nd Gen 24v

marked23

Back in 2017, my 2001 2500 died in the driveway. 

I had just repositioned it so that I could load it up for a trip to the dump.   An hour later, it wouldn't start.  It would turn over, but not run.

A friend brought a winch over, and we dragged the truck over to the side of the driveway. 

Five years later, it's still sitting there.  

truck.jpg.5e785783711b3a66d8760eac2b0c6513.jpg

It starts now, or it did in 2020, last time I tried.  But I only get two positions on the throttle.   Idle, and high-idle. 

(I think that indicates a toasted PSG5)

If you look in my post history, you can see a few threads I made regarding my attempts to get it running again.  

Long story short, I drive a different truck now.   But this one is still here, complicating my driveway.  

I wish I was still inspired to get it working.

• Staff

If i had a trailer and the time for the trip i would be happy to remove it from your driveway for you.

In all honesty, if it were me I would get her running again. These older trucks are drawiing premium money right now so if you get her fired up maybe the cummins bug will bite you again and you keep it OR you sell it and make so money on it. Seems like a win/win to me either way.

• Like 2

• Owner

Yup its called "limited pedal". It is typically the the PSG and it control of the fuel pin correctly or the PSG is not listening to the CANBus correctly. Double check and see if there is any error code to give any more clues on what is the cause. Might check for excessive AC noise being I'm going to guess this truck doesn't have the W-T ground wire mod. Being excessive AC noise is known to cause PSG failures too. More or less it could be your alternator and the bad ground to the ECM/VP44 that cause the PSG to fail. 

Sad ot say your most likely going to need to replace the VP44 but make sure to deal with the AC noise before installing the new VP44. So I would do the W-T ground wire mod then have the alternator tested and replaced. Then purchase a rebuilt VP44. This will insure the new pump will have a happy long life.