• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

APPS sensor adjustment and reset difficulties.

• Owner
4 hours ago, Zach B said:

Sweet, I’ll go ahead and order the rebuild kit for it then and do the wiring modifications tomorrow to see if it helps any

Remember the ECM is still damaged, and the damage is done. Wiring mods will only insure your rebuilt ECM will not be damaged. You will continue to have issues.

3 hours ago, Tractorman said:

@Zach B, just FYI, note the ND emblem in the center of your first photo.  That stands for Nippondenso.

- John

Alright so that’s what it means, I tried looking online to find out what the N stood for, I figured the D stood for denso. Thanks for the info!

8 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Remember the ECM is still damaged, and the damage is done. Wiring mods will only insure your rebuilt ECM will not be damaged. You will continue to have issues.

Yep, I’m going to wait until I do the modifications and see what my AC noise  level is at before I send the computer out to get rebuilt. That way I don’t fry a new one again.

Ill let you know if I have any issues with the mods tomorrow, I do have a little question about the ground wire relocation mod but once I get it apart I may answer it myself. Thanks for all the help so far

• Like 1

Alright, working on the WT ground wire mod and have a question. I was unable to find the original article so figured I’d ask here. 

my question is in the first picture, the charge wire coming from the alternator is the large black one. I’m confused on where to cut that as the directions aren’t clear. Do I just cut it here and run it over to the passenger side battery? Or do I have to chase it all the way through the harness and unhook it somewhere?

Second question, in my second picture there is the little block that the charge wire goes into and then the wires come out the top. Do I leave that alone and run the charge wire coming out the top to the battery? In the directions it appeared the alternator did not have this little block on it with the wires coming out the top.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think this will link you to the Mopar1973Man's version of the W-T wiring modification.

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/articles.html/24-valve-2nd-generation_50/51_engine/electrical/w-t-ground-wire-mod-simplified-r574/?do=getLastComment&d=4&id=574

The alternator output wire is in a loom that crosses in front of the engine eventually arriving at its connection at the power distribution center.  It is a large gauge wire connected to a 140 amp fuse at the entry of the PDC.  Remove this wire from the fuse and connect the wire  to the positive terminal on the passenger side battery.  I recommended installing a 150 amp fuse in-line near the passenger side battery.  This fuse will prevent a fire should the the alternator ever have a serious short ciruit to ground.   I left my alternator output lead long until I establish a permanent mount for the in-line fuse.

- John

Edited by Tractorman

42 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

I think this will link you to the Mopar1973Man's version of the W-T wiring modification.

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/articles.html/24-valve-2nd-generation_50/51_engine/electrical/w-t-ground-wire-mod-simplified-r574/?do=getLastComment&d=4&id=574

The alternator output wire is in a loom that crosses in front of the engine eventually arriving at its connection at the power distribution center.  It is a large gauge wire connected to a 140 amp fuse at the entry of the PDC.  Remove this wire from the fuse and connect the wire  to the positive terminal on the passenger side battery.  I recommended installing a 150 amp fuse in-line near the passenger side battery.  This fuse will prevent a fire should the the alternator ever have a serious short ciruit to ground.   I left my alternator output lead long until I establish a permanent mount for the in-line fuse.

- John

Okay I understand now. I was a little lost In molar mans version of the mod but now I see what needs done with the power wire. Thank you for the reply

Molar man🤣😂🤣

Let me chew on that awhile.....

I love technology......NOT

I don't know if it was just psychological or not, but after doing the ground mod on my truck, it seemed to start easier/quicker and shifts felt better.

Don't forget the PCM ground mod also.

• Haha 1

• Staff
3 hours ago, Max Tune said:

I don't know if it was just psychological or not, but after doing the ground mod on my truck, it seemed to start easier/quicker and shifts felt better.

Don't forget the PCM ground mod also.

Since I did mine I find woman more charged up when near my truck.

Edited by JAG1
  • Confused 1

• Staff
1 hour ago, DeepEastTexas2Gen said:

Batteries replaced and going down overnight. 

There is most likely something staying on that you don't see.  You will have to perform a draw test to find it.  My work van had a bad radio; even thou it was shut off it was using .075 amps.  20 milliamps (0.020 amps) are what you want to see when everything is turned off and over 0.030 amps is a problem.  There must be a large drain overnight.to deplete 2 batteries.

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

Since I did mine I find woman more charged up when near my truck.

When the women get charged up near his truck...JAG1 tens to short-circuit.

3 hours ago, Tractorman said:

Here is another link.  This one is W-T's version.  I like his - he uses bigger words.

Cool, that’s what I was looking for. I didn’t get the chance to read through it yet and I already completed the mod, but so far everything works fine. I tested my AC noise and it’s down to .025-.033v at idle. I wasn’t sure how to test to see if I needed the parallel cables though. In mopar mans simplified article, he said to put the black probe on the battery and red probe on clean metal on the block. I just found a clean bolt head going into the block. I set the multimeter (Fluke 110plus) to the DCmv scale and it wouldn’t take a reading, it read OL on the display. Also, what does he mean by take jumper cables and run from negative post to negative post? Am I testing DCmv between the two negative terminals? Just not sure what I’m supposed to be doing or what I am doing wrong

1 minute ago, IBMobile said:

Red (positive lead) to the B+ terminal of the alternator; the one with the 10MM nut on it.  The black (negative lead) goes to ground. 

Yep, that’s what I did to test AC noise and got the reading of .025-.033v. Got the same reading from both batteries. 

What I’m talking about is mopar man said to test if you need the parallel cables, you are supposed to set the multimeter to DCmv and put the black probe on a battery terminal and the red probe on the block. The reading that your supposed to get is around .003mv. I was confused on this part because when I placed my multimeter probe on the battery and then the block it read OL. 

• Owner

From the battery to the block on either side. I only measure 0.003 volts. If it not low then you need to change your ground cables not add a parallel cable. Parallel cable will only mask the issues of bad cable(s). I say fix the problem don't mask it with other added grounds.

Another way to test hook jump cables between the negative ground and the block and check the voltage drop again. In the 9 different trucks I tested I got no difference in reading adding extra ground to the block or between batteries.

Like most think I only work ony truck. Not true I've got lots of Cummins trucks I work on from ugly to super bad ***.

12 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

From the battery to the block on either side. I only measure 0.003 volts. If it not low then you need to change your ground cables not add a parallel cable. Parallel cable will only mask the issues of bad cable(s). I say fix the problem don't mask it with other added grounds.

Another way to test hook jump cables between the negative ground and the block and check the voltage drop again. In the 9 different trucks I tested I got no difference in reading adding extra ground to the block or between batteries.

Like most think I only work ony truck. Not true I've got lots of Cummins trucks I work on from ugly to super bad ***.

I got it figured out, I measured .002-.003 volts with the truck off and .004 with it running.

Even though I got the AC noise down to .025-.033v, I think I’m still going to rebuild the alternator. I’ve been looking and can’t seem to find a kit that comes with the new diode specifically for the denso on my truck. Does anyone have a link or a place to get the kit from? 

Now that I’ve done the WT ground mod and the PCM protection mod, After I rebuild the alternator and my AC noise is still at the levels it is now, I should be good to send my ecm out and get it repaired, right? No more risk of it getting damaged again?

On 8/10/2022 at 12:25 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Give @Genos Garage a shot there our vendor on the might have what your looking for.

Took a look at Genos Garage. I found the rebuild kit, but it only includes brushes and bearings. I’m looking for the rectifier/diode to replace. I can’t seem to find one for my specific alternator. I went to densos website and got the part number for the alternator my year/model truck, but when I Google search it I can’t find any of the rectifiers that fit that model.