• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel Tank Strap Replacement

Home again today thanks to Commie Cold and feeling fantastic so thought I'd change out my front fuel tank strap that has been bent/ mangled since before I bought the truck. Just like the Kung Flu, it too is from China. The new straps are plain carbon steel so the one I installed got a good coat of paint before install. Factory straps appear to have been galvanized. Here are some photos I took to compare; the new strap is actually for the rear, hence the smaller size and lack of clipped corners at the bolt end. Corners must be clipped to clear driveshaft center support bracket.

Not sure what to think of the spot welds versus rivets. Time will tell.

And a picture of a grill table I made about 12 years ago for a Weber grill I found on the side of the road! 

KIMG1085.JPG

KIMG1086.JPG

KIMG1087.JPG

KIMG1088.JPG

KIMG1089.JPG

Edited by LorenS

12 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Well spot welds should hold but only time will tell. Unless you feel comfortable doing so light welding on the edge of the straps to guarantee it holds.  

I'd have to say those MIC spot welds will certainly fail

Either weld the end on properly or drill them out one at a time and use small nuts/ bolts say 6mm  or 5/16th

Edited by wil440