• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

You absolutely need a resonator from FTE diesel. Here is a link to the product. https://store.ftediesel.com/home/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=13&idcategory=8 I put one on my 02 which was straight piped through a 5 inch single stack and the drone was killer. It kept the exhaust sound nice and all but eliminated the drone. If you search on other diesel sites it is the hottest thing going and I can vouch, I just wish I would have gone for the longer one, I did the 17 inch. The exhaust volume is still too loud for me, I guess old age is creaping up on me lol.. It actually quiets the exhaust down a bit with the 17 inch and from what I read it makes it about as quiet as stock with the 30 incher and Has no backpressure the way they are made. But it does what its intended to do and that is to eliminate the drone.

I will order one tomorrow. Does it need to be closes to the downpipe to work well?

Yes, the further forward you get it the better it will do at reducing drone. Don't forget to order a couple of clamps along with it. https://store.ftediesel.com/home/viewCategories.asp?pageStyle=l&idCategory=6 I see you have 5 inch exhaust, the link I posted was to the 4 inch resonator, make sure you order the right one, they have them for 5 inch systems also.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered a 30" SS resonator from FTE for my 01.5 I loved the sound with my 4" straight through muffler running light but wifee needed ear plugs on the trip towing the camper. Well, I liked the sound on my old truck too (79 Chevy C30, built 454, headers...) until I hooked up to the horse trailer. LOL!!I'll report results after.

moostang, My problem exactly. Wife & I didn't talk... well, if she did, I couldn't have heard it! I recieved my "Resonator". I ordered the SS 30" model... The 30" is the active length, length over all is longer. It might be too long for some muffler combinations. I'm going to leave my straight through muffler behind it... more for looks than anything. [Yes ,officer, see it HAS a muffler!] It sure is heavy built. There's only a slight swell to the case from the 4" in / out. There's about a 2" straight through center hole, around the outside is a generous spiral. It will be interesting to hear what this sounds like with the camper on. (Won't be towing it again until Spring).

• Like 1

moostang, My problem exactly. Wife & I didn't talk... well, if she did, I couldn't have heard it! I recieved my "Resonator". I ordered the SS 30" model... The 30" is the active length, length over all is longer. It might be too long for some muffler combinations. I'm going to leave my straight through muffler behind it... more for looks than anything. [Yes ,officer, see it HAS a muffler!] It sure is heavy built. There's only a slight swell to the case from the 4" in / out. There's about a 2" straight through center hole, arount the outside is a generous spiral. It will be interesting to hear what this sounds like with the camper on. (Won't be towing it again until Spring).

You will not believe how much quieter that piece of auger flighting with a pipe through the center will make it.:thumb1:

• 2 weeks later...

I got the thirty. I also placed it as far forward as is possible.

I am going to order a 30 and put it on my 02 and take the 17 off and put it on my 05 in place of the cat converter. With the stack on the 02 it took the drone away but the exhaust noise behind my head is still too loud for me now days.