• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Knowing your load capacity and how to load your RV

• Staff

Came across this article and it demonstrates how important it is to know your trucks load capacity and how to distribute the weight .

https://www.thedrive.com/news/broken-ram-3500-dually-shows-a-camper-can-still-overload-a-big-truck

According to the article the camper was 5000lbs dry weight. Plus gear and such they estimated total payload at around 6500lbs. That's a lot of weight in the bed. Plus while looking at the pics, a lot of that weight seems to be behind the rear axle.

It's terrible what happened to this guy's truck, mopar is refusing to cover it under warranty (a $17,000 repair). Can't say I blame them though. 

Know how to load tour truck properly. Use the scales at a truck stop and be safe!

• Like 2

• Staff

His center of gravity should have been more in front of the rear axle, if that was the cause . It's a heavy looking camper in the rear and with a motorcycle or a fat tire ebike extended out the rear and crew cab extended frame adding more dynamic leverage.

I don't trust the newer hydroformed frames as I would rather have the plated steel frame like my first get D250 had. Don't know about the second gen frames. Hoping it's okay.

I'm weighing at the scales +/- 9800 lbs when fully loaded with my camper. Camper is 2675 dry weight on a camper special 2002 for about 87,000 miles now. I wonder if I should stop doing it but, everyone says that I am not over the axle weight rating so it's okay! 

What a bad experience for that truck owner!

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

I will be hitting the scale with my 5th wheel come spring just as a precaution.  I believe I'm well within the limits but just for piece if mind. At least my 5th wheel hitch rests just ahead if the rear axle per installation instructions from e-trailer.

That guy had some serious leverage going on there, plus it is a short bed which would shorten the back half of the frame exaggerating the issue.

• Like 1

• Staff
8 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

That guy had some serious leverage going on there, plus it is a short bed which would shorten the back half of the frame exaggerating the issue.

you are correct it is a shortbed and the camper is for a long bed so the center of gravity is radically in the wrong position and placed undue stress on the frame.

• Staff

@AH64ID, I guess your right, it is a long bed. Looking at it now on my laptop I see it. Didn't notice it on my phone. My fault.

Still, after looking at it on a larger screen, I dont think the camper itself is very well balanced plus the motorcycle on the rear adds weight way behind the axle.  I also believe the frame may be partly at fault, I would expect it to be a little better built.

• Owner

Thank you @IBMobile that video is spot on...

This is why I weighed my 31 foot Jayco before rolling to Cally to go camping with you boys and girls. With my RV fully load and myself in the truck my truck weight is right at 8,800 pounds. Then my RV comes in at 8,020 pounds. This is a total of 16,820 pounds total. I'm registered for 26,000 pound on my plates but I still check to make sure the truck or trailer doesn't exceed its ratings too. 

2500 Ram - 8,800 pounds GVWR scaled 8,800 pound 100% loaded no more!

Jayco Eagle - 8,500 pounds GVWR scaled at 8.020 pounds 94% loaded tight but got wiggle room just a little.